[StBernard] Governor Blanco and NASA sign MOU ensuring commitment to Louisiana's Michoud Facility

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Feb 15 22:22:55 EST 2007

Governor Blanco and NASA sign MOU ensuring commitment to Louisiana's Michoud Facility

NASA MOU Signing
Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco
February 15, 2007

Good morning. I'd like to welcome Dave King and the entire NASA delegation. And I'd like to say a special thank you to Patrick Scheuermann - a UNO Graduate who heads operations at NASA Michoud - who has been our partner.

Louisiana is home to NASA's only manufacturing facility in the United States. We're proud NASA has made a home in Louisiana, and we're even prouder that you're here to stay!

Today I pledge the State's commitment to work with NASA to keep you in Louisiana as you transition to new technology.

The NASA Michoud Facility has long been responsible for the Space Shuttle External Tank Program. With this program drawing to an end, we're working with NASA to transition the facility to take on new mission opportunities.

We're working to modernize and expand Louisiana's investment at NASA Michoud. Our investments have influenced NASA's agreement to produce new cargo and crew launch and exploration vehicles here. The equipment produced in Louisiana will allow NASA to continue to push the boundaries of human exploration.

When we talk about NASA, we think of the next generation.

Supporting innovative ventures like Louisiana's National Center for Advanced Manufacturing creates opportunities for our future. You have to be willing to invest in building a cutting edge technological infrastructure in order to chart new frontiers.

This is why I've made it a priority to invest in building the research and scientific capacity needed to diversify Louisiana's economy.

Continuing our investments in NASA Michoud allows us to maintain the competitive advantage that will keep our job numbers strong. We're not only retaining 2,000 employees at the Michoud facility, we're growing more high-tech jobs in the aerospace industry.

This new product line will open up new contract opportunities with Lockheed Martin, Boeing and Northrop Grumman, among others.

New Orleans and Southeast Louisiana are in the midst of the greatest recovery this nation has ever seen. The Michoud facility is located in East New Orleans, where a strong recovery is critical.

NASA Michoud represents the opportunity this region has to not only succeed, but to lead the way in charting a better future. Members of the NASA delegation, we are proud to have you here. We stand ready to be your partners moving forward. Thank you.

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org