[StBernard] To submit testimony on need for Levee Commission

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Feb 26 08:16:32 EST 2007

Levees.Org is VIP guest at Senate Hearing

Will submit testimony on need for Levee Commission

U.S. Senator Mary Landrieu has included Levees.Org reps as VIP guests for a
Field Hearing of the Senate Environment and Public Works committee. The US
Army Corps of Engineers reports to this Committee. The hearing will be
Monday February 26, 2007 at the Supreme Court Building in New Orleans.

Legislative Director Vince Pasquantonio and I will submit testimony on
Levees.Org's call for a 9/11-style Levee Commission to investigate the flood
protection failures during Hurricane Katrina. Representing 10,000 members,
we will also meet with Senators Barbara Boxer D-CA, Amy Klobuchar D-MN,
Benjamin Cardin D-MD, Sheldon Whitehouse D-RI, Johnny Isaacson R-GA, and
David Vitter R-LA the evening before at a private reception.

Other Levees.Org news:

Levees.Org has posted a 5 videos on our website of easy-to-view excerpts of
nationally renowned Hurricane Authority Ivor van Heerden's presentation on
why a Levee Commission is critical to the future of Louisiana and any state
with federally-built levees.

Also, this week, Levees.Org will release locally the first in a series of
video Public Service Announcements with Harry Shearer and other national
celebrities. Member donations paid for the production of the video PSAs
which will urge citizens to support the Levee Commission.

Watch the video! <http://www.levees.org/>

The Levee Commission, a 9-11 style panel to investigate the flood protection
failures in metro New Orleans has broad support.

Launched just 7 weeks ago, Levees.Org's call for an independent bipartisan
commission enjoys vigorous support from businesses, environmentalists, city
government, major news sources and neighborhood associations throughout the
Louisiana parishes that flooded on August 29, 2005. The idea has national
support as well.

The reasons are many, but the group's main rationale for demanding the Levee
Commission centers on the fact that the US Army Corps of Engineers managed
an investigation of their own work. "If you investigate yourself, what are
you going to find?" says Sandy Rosenthal, Founder and Executive Director.

"Anyone who hears the reasons why we need a levee commission would support
it," says Vince Pasquantonio, Legislative Director. "And we are finding
that anyone who has heard the reasons, is."

If you haven't yet, please sign the petition. <http://www.levees.org/>

The list of supporters grows daily. Here is the list so far.

New Orleans City Council
St. Bernard Parish Council
St. Bernard Chamber of Commerce
New Orleans CityBusiness
The Daily Advertiser
League of Women Voters New Orleans
National Council of Jewish Women, Greater New Orleans Section
Mark Morial, National Urban League
CHAT, The Citizens Road Home Action Team
Ivor Van Heerden, Louisiana State University Hurricane Center
Robert Bea, U Cal / National Science Foundation Levee Team
Gulf Restoration Network
Lake Pontchartrain Basin Foundation
Save our Wetlands, Inc
US Senator Mary Landrieu D-LA
US Congressman Bobby Jindal R-LA
US Congressman Zach Wamp R-TN
LA Senator Julie Quinn R-6
LA Senator Walter Boasso R-1
LA Rep Charmaine Marchand D-99

and 5,801 citizens who have signed a petition calling for a Commission!

Best,
Sandy Rosenthal
Founder, Levees.Org