[StBernard] Field of Dreams

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Mar 8 23:11:04 EST 2007

Chad - just because FEMA has this money earmarked for RECREATION doesn't
mean they are correct. Let's face it - they've been wrong before and Lord
knows they could be wrong this time. I couldn't agree more with being in
amazement at appropriating such a large sum for recreation. With only one
third of the population back, and living on Plaza Drive (one block from the
entrance) believe me people aren't moving back in droves. Sure - they're in
upscale communities like Jumonville, Corinne Estates and Palmisano, but very
few and far between in other areas. Not to mention thte awful traffic
situation going up and down Plaza to get to that entrance. Quite frankly
I'd be very happy if that wasn't going to happen as Plaza was used like a
speedway. Not very safe for children living in that area or those of us who
had grandchildren who would come to visit.

Why would FEMA not concentrate more money into infrastructure which should
be first and foremost and set aside a smaller amount for a park. A part
that pre-Katrina was not even kept up. The walking path needed repair, was
too narrow and wasn't kept trimmed enough for walkers/runners. Bikes were
not supposed to be on that path but people used them just the same.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying we couldn't use a park but is this
really the right time???? And furthermore, why would you invest such a
large amount on a park when the levee system may not be high enough to
withstand another category 3 hurricane. Isn't that what Joey DeFatta and
the council was in discussions about only Tuesday of this week. It's a
wonder FEMA wouldn't have studied the pros and cons thoroughly before "ear
marking" such a large sum of monye. But as I say when it comes to FEMA and
LRA - well - that's self-explanatory!!!

Khaki