[StBernard] Field of Dreams

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Mar 14 20:31:16 EDT 2007

Chad,

The part you do not understand....there was a minimum of eight feet (as
much as 13) of water in the area. OIL FLOATS, it only needs a 1/4 inch of
water to float. And, while Murphy has convinced people that the hand of GOD
CAME DOWN AND CONTAINED THE OIL, the laws of nature tell me something
different. ALSO, in the months following the storm, why did Murphy scrape
all of the neutral grounds up and down Judge Perez (all the way past the
Violet bridge)? I understand that the land down there is "higher", but it
doesn't change the fact that OIL FLOATS. LASTLY, my cousin was told that she
was not in the "Oil Spill" area, however when they went to check out there
property following the storm, her husband's truck was full of oil- she lived
past Genie on Despeax. You are correct, if there is no other choice than to
take or lose the money, we should take it. I just think that there has got
to be a better place (firstly) and that FEMA and the federal government
(while offering to replace these things) should wait until basic services
have been reestablished so that it doesn't "appear" to be wasteful
government spending. The perception of things is sometimes worse than that
of the actual deed. Sewage, roads without deep pot holes, street lights,
gas, etc. would rank higher in the basic list of necessities to that of a
recreational park. I do think that the kids who live there do need a place
to go, to be able to play, because god knows most neighborhoods aren't safe
yet. Even if every house on the block is clean, I don't know if all the
yards have been debrised enough to get rid of nails, glass, etc., but how do
you let your kids play somewhere where they may one day develop cancer as a
result.
You, and anyone else, can believe the bulls@#t that Murphy's lawyers are
shoveling, but science tells me something else. 22 years later, Prince
William Sound is having problems. 10 years following their spill there was
still petroleum in the water (here is a website
http://www.valdezscience.com/). Petroleum doesn't "evaporate" and it won't
sink into the ground and disappear. REMEMBER St. Bernard is virtually a
floating pennisula and again, oil floats. So between the water table and
land there will be oil which will rise and fall with the water table. Common
sense must prevail here. I implore upon the parish officials to stop taking
a company, who has a vested interest, word on things and start talking to
people who have already dealt with this- the people of Alaska. I am sure
that Murphy has provided consultants on top of consultants, however, the
problem with paid consultants, is who is writing their checks.
Thomas Paine was once the one voice of "Common Sense" during a revolution
230 years ago, I pray that our Government has the same strength to listen to
their own.

Wendy