[StBernard] E-Update From Senator David Vitter

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Mar 14 21:57:20 EDT 2007

IN THIS ISSUE

IMPROVING LOUISIANAS HIGHWAYS
SUPPORTING THE MILITARY ORDER OF THE PURPLE HEART
HOSTING A LOUISIANA FIELD HEARING AND FIGHTING NEW ORLEANS CORRUPTION
WORKING TO SUPPORT LOUISIANA WOMEN AND FAMILIES

In February I traveled throughout Louisiana for a week visiting Denham
Springs, Baton Rouge, Alexandria, Monroe and Lafayette. It was a productive
trip, and I was able to meet with many Louisianaians. I always want to hear
what you are thinking, and I encourage you to visit my website
<http://www.vitter.senate.gov> to give me feedback.

Now the U.S. Senate is back in session, and below you can read more about my
work on improving Louisiana's highways, supporting the military, celebrating
women's history month, my committee work and other key issues for Louisiana
families.

David Vitter Signature

P.S. - Please feel free to forward the newsletter to your friends, neighbors
and business associates, and encourage them to sign up for their own copy by
visiting my Web site at http://vitter.senate.gov/.

Recently I met with members of the Young Farmers and Ranchers program with
the Louisiana Farm Bureau Federation. The group was visiting to discuss the
Farm Bill, which provides a vital safety net for Louisiana agriculture and
is expected to be renewed this year

Improving Louisiana's Highways

I worked with U.S Rep. Jim McCrery to secure $20 million for improvements to
LA 28 in a large transportation bill that passed last Congress, and the
state recently announced that the contract has been awarded for LA 28 to be
four-laned from LA 121 to 465.

Widening LA 28 will improve mobility and safety for the military and
civilian traffic that frequently use it. These improvements will enable the
military to move convoys between Ft. Polk in Leesville to their airlift at
England Industrial Airpark in Alexandria. Currently LA 28 is two-lanes,
which presents safety and service challenges when convoys move between the
two facilities. Ft. Polk uses LA 28 both for the deployment of troops and
for the rotation of troops training at the Joint Readiness Training Center.
The four-lane improvement on LA 28 is the highest priority of the Governor's
Military Advisory Committee.

Supporting the Military Order of the Purple Heart

The U.S. Senate recently passed legislation I drafted to expand the
membership of the Military Order of the Purple Heart. The MOPH asked me to
help change their charter, which does not allow male spouses of female
Purple Heart recipients to gain membership into the MOPH. This charter was
created by Congress in 1958, and at that time it was not envisioned that the
MOPH would have so many female Purple Heart recipients.

The women and men of our armed forces have been on the frontlines protecting
our freedom for hundreds of years, and the Purple Heart is a testament to
their dedication. In addition to thanking and supporting our soldiers, the
MOPH recognizes the families of our servicewomen and men too. The family
members offer direct support and encouragement to our soldiers, so by
including more of them as members of the MOPH, we can show that we
appreciate all that they do too.

Hosting a Louisiana Field Hearing and Fighting New Orleans Corruption

During February the U.S. Senate Environment and Public Works Committee held
a field hearing in New Orleans. A few months ago I asked Chairwoman Boxer
to schedule this hearing to discuss moving forward after hurricanes Katrina
and Rita, specifically focusing on debris waste management, coastal wetland
restoration and hurricane protection. The hearing was a productive way to
explore our progress and remaining challenges.

The Old Gentilly Landfill was one of the topics discussed at the hearing,
specifically the environmental hazards this landfill may pose and the
corruption that has surrounded it. As a follow up to the hearing I wrote a
letter to Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality Secretary Mike
McDaniel and New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin urging them to close the Old
Gentilly Landfill in light of recent revelations that two Marc Morial
political cronies - one a convicted felon - had a hidden financial interest
in the company running the landfill.

Working to Support Louisiana Women and Families

March is Women's History Month so it is a good time to reflect on the
importance of women
<http://vitter.senate.gov/?module=PressRoom/VittersView&ID=f4b9e960-51c5-453
0-8642-92edd7dd29d8> and families, especially in Louisiana. Growing up
with two sisters and now raising three daughters, it is clear to me that
women are going to play a huge role in shaping Louisiana's future.

I have reached out to women across Louisiana through my annual Women's
Forum, which I host with my wife Wendy. The Women's Forum is a great
opportunity for me to hear the concerns of Louisiana women and their
families. Please visit my website to find out more information about my
Women's Forum
<http://vitter.senate.gov/?module=legislation/issue&ID=4af88f02-caf5-45a2-aa
81-fd00521903c5> and how you can get involved.