[StBernard] STATEMENT FROM COMMISSIONER OF ADMINISTRATION

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Mar 18 22:14:17 EDT 2007

The disagreement between the State of Louisiana and the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) over the disbursement of Road Home grant money will not interrupt scheduled applicant closings. The Road Home disbursement process will continue as State officials plan meetings with HUD to discuss the differences.

Commissioner of Administration Jerry Luke LeBlanc today said:

"We are working closely with HUD to make decisions about how The Road Home program will proceed and what changes are necessary. We have instructed ICF and its team to move forward with closings and appointments for the 115,000 families who are participating in the program. We recognize there may be adjustments, but we fully expect any changes will continue to help homeowners receive their awards and continue rebuilding our communities across Louisiana."

State recovery officials were taken by surprise yesterday when HUD announced it had decided The Road Home program was a rebuilding effort and not a compensation program. State officials maintain that HUD had oversight throughout the entire development process of the disbursement program. State officials say yesterday's sudden ruling will inflict time consuming and expensive Federal rules upon storm victims and expose their grant money to being taken for overdue mortgage payments.

The Road Home program will continue to schedule appointments and closings and calculate awards for homeowners in the program. The State will meet this week with the Federal government to resolve these issues and ensure the program continues the momentum it has achieved. The Road Home is committed to ensuring every homeowner affected by Hurricane Rita or Katrina receives his or her award as quickly as possible.

###