[StBernard] Tractor-trailers are targets in 3 shootings

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Mar 21 21:11:09 EDT 2007

Tractor-trailers are targets in 3 shootings
St. Bernard deputies investigating incidents
Wednesday, March 21, 2007
By Karen Turni Bazile
St. Bernard sheriff's officials are investigating three recent drive-by
shootings of tractor-trailer trucks in Violet and Florissant.

Although no one was seriously injured in the shootings Thursday and Friday,
one man was grazed on the neck by a bullet. No drivers lost control of their
vehicles.

"We are still on the lookout and are talking to people in the area to try to
get information. We are taking it seriously," said Maj. John Doran, chief of
detectives at the Sheriff's Office. "It could cause that tractor-trailer to
go out of control. They have to realize it could kill somebody. We certainly
don't want this to escalate."

Doran said witnesses said all three shootings reportedly came from a small
black or charcoal-colored pickup truck. The shots appeared to have been
aimed at the front of large tractor-trailers, Doran said witnesses reported.
In each instance, witnesses said the pickup was traveling westbound and the
tractor-trailers were traveling eastbound.

Investigators said the first shooting occurred in the 6000 block of St.
Bernard Highway in Violet on Thursday between 5 and 6 p.m. Shortly after
that, another tractor-trailer was shot in the 8000 block of St. Bernard
Highway.

The first victim said he heard a loud noise but didn't realize his vehicle
was shot. He didn't report the damage to his truck, which was carrying oil,
until the next day.

However, the second man, who is from St. Bernard community, said that he
heard a shotgun blast and saw two men with their arms hanging out of their
vehicle's windows as they passed his truck.

Pellets from the shotgun blast apparently grazed that victim's neck, leaving
a red mark, Doran said, adding that there was definite evidence of a shotgun
blast on the vehicle.

"It could be a small-caliber shotgun, but we haven't been able to recover
any shells," Doran said. "Obviously these guys are really trying to hurt
somebody or they have some kind of demented mind."

The third shooting occurred in the 1200 block of Florissant Highway on
Friday around 2 p.m.

"It's a miracle that something worse hasn't happened and that's why we are
trying to locate this truck and get something on this," Doran said. "We are
definitely looking for these two guys. . . . We don't know if these guys are
out for sick fun, but they are aiming at the windshields."

Anyone with information is asked to call the St. Bernard Parish Sheriff's
Office at (504) 271-2501, the detective bureau at (504) 278-7630 or
Crimestoppers at (504) 822-1111.

Karen Turni Bazile can be reached at kturni at timespicayune.com or (504)
826-3321.