[StBernard] Boasso talks with students about campaign

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Mar 23 23:18:51 EDT 2007

Boasso talks with students about campaign
Candidate disapproves of German steel mill bid
By: Sarah Yokubaitis
State Sen. Walter Boasso, R-Arabi, told the Economics Club on Thursday that
Louisiana needs a governor with a vision and a refusal to play along
partisan lines.

"As governor of this state, you have to have a vision and a plan," Boasso
said. "If you think Republicans are going to fix things, you're wrong. If
you think Democrats are going to fix things, you're wrong. You need someone
to park party labels at the door."

Boasso also addressed the questions surrounding his own party affiliation.
He said the Republican party has decided to support U.S. Rep. Bobby Jindal,
R-Kenner, instead of not endorsing a candidate as the party has
traditionally done.

"Yesterday, it was the same old, same old back room deal," Boasso said.
"What they did for me yesterday was a favor. They embarrassed the Republican
party. Some people just don't want to lose control."

Boasso also talked about the current field of the governor's race since Gov.
Kathleen Blanco's Tuesday announcement that she will not seek re-election.

"She did a fantastic service for the taxpayers of Louisiana. Now candidates
are going to have to run on their accomplishments and vision," Boasso said.
"You can put all the candidates apples to apples on an even playing field."

Boasso's overall lecture focused on his plans to attract new industries to
Louisiana to help the economy.

"We know we have obstacles to bringing new businesses to Louisiana. There
are three important things we can do - take advantage of the waterway
system, use our natural resources and help nurture the businesses we already
have," Boasso said. "We're still having a hard time getting people to eat
crawfish up North though."

The first-term state senator criticized the proposed steel mill for which
the legislature appropriated $300 million during the December 2006 special
session, saying the ThyssenKrupp AG mill's cost outweighed the benefit.
Boasso estimated the mill would ultimately cost the state upwards of $2
billion.

"I know if you gave me $2 billion I could create 27,000 jobs instead of
2,700," Boasso said.

As governor, Boasso's plans for education include restructuring the state's
higher education to give the nine state universities more clearly defined
roles.

"The way we're going to save education is you got to go back to the basics,"
he said.

Boasso said he realizes education comes at a cost. Throughout his lecture,
Boasso scribbled notes on the white board. As the board became covered with
notes, he looked around the Howe-Russell classroom for an eraser. Unable to
find one, he remarked, "I know we cut y'all's budget, but you ought to be
able to buy an eraser."

Boasso's political conscience, however, does not have a price.

"I don't need a career in politics. I can't be bought, and I won't be
anyone's puppet," he said.

-----
Contact Sarah Yokubaitis at syokubaitis at lsureveille.com