[StBernard] Adding common sense to the rebuilding process

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Mar 25 23:07:14 EDT 2007

March 25, 2007

Dear friends,

Adding common sense to the rebuilding process

This week, I authored an important common sense provision to a bill in
Congress to ensure that we are rebuilding the best Louisiana possible. I
successfully attached a provision to the Gulf Coast Hurricane Housing
Recovery Act that makes common sense reforms to the overall bill by giving
priority to law-abiding residents returning to our state and making public
housing safer for everyone.

I am a firm believer that we cannot simply rebuild Louisiana and the
problems of the past--we must go further and make crucial changes to ensure
that we are rebuilding the state of our dreams. We have to keep drugs and
violence out of our public housing system, and ensure that the residents of
our public housing are put in a position to succeed. To repeat the same
mistakes that led to the problems of the past would be irresponsible and
unacceptable. Many of our public housing residents are hardworking people,
and their families should not be forced to have drug dealers or gang members
as neighbors. Louisiana has a bright future, and we must ensure that all
Louisianians have the opportunity to participate in that future.

My provision specifically requires the Housing Authority of New Orleans, or
any other manager of replacement dwelling units, to deny the return of
certain individuals who have been convicted of dealing drugs, a sex crime,
or a crime of domestic violence, or who pose a direct threat to public
safety, such as gang members. It also gives priority for those subsidized
housing units to the elderly, disabled, and those who are working.

To read more about this issue, click here
<http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=ZGEyYjlmMTFhYzQ3ZjI5NWRhYzg3OWFkNz
ZjYmEyYmI=> .

I am glad that my colleagues in the House agreed to support my provision,
and I will keep fighting for more common sense in the rebuilding efforts.

Supporting community pharmacists in Louisiana

This weekend, I went to visit an old friend at Aron's Pharmacy in Monroe.
Aron's is the type of community pharmacy where you can get a soda, and visit
with your neighbors.

Like Aron's, local pharmacies throughout our state play an integral role in
our health care system. The vast majority of local pharmacies are small
businesses whose owners are members of the community that they serve. As a
result of their ties to the area, local pharmacies can spend more time
focusing on personal care and service. They play an essential role in the
well-being of our communities, and I am committed to ensuring that they are
able to remain competitive with larger pharmacy chains.

I recently signed on as a co-sponsor of the Community Pharmacy Fairness Act
in the House of Representatives. This legislation would make it easier for
locally-based pharmacies to negotiate reduced drug prices with
pharmaceutical companies by reforming federal antitrust statutes as they are
applied to the deals made between pharmacies and drug companies.

The goal is to give independent pharmacies the same buying power already
available to the chains and mail order companies. I am committed to making
sure that these community based businesses are given every opportunity to
compete in an environment that promotes fair market conditions. A level
playing field is good for patients, communities, small businesses, and our
state.

Fighting for good government legislation

I recently crossed party lines and joined my colleagues in the House of
Representatives to pass three crucial bills that ensure that our government
is serving the people.

Freedom of Information Act Amendments of 2007: The Freedom of Information
Act can serve as a great tool for the public and the press to request more
information about our government. But lately, some government agencies have
not been responding to these requests in a timely or reasonable manner. This
bill will fix that problem by restating the 20-day response requirement and
imposing penalties on agencies that fail to meet the requirement.

Presidential Records Act Amendments of 2007: Timely access to presidential
records can be crucial, and public access should be provided to the full
record and not shaped by a former president or his heirs. Up until 2001, it
was mandated that the release of presidential records to historians and the
public should occur within 12 years after the end of a presidential
administration. It also stipulated that a president could claim executive
privilege in ensuring that documents remain classified. In November 2001, an
Executive Order was issued that gave Vice Presidents the authority to
withhold records, and established a process requiring the concurrence of the
incumbent and former President for records to be released. The legislation I
helped recently pass would repeal this Executive Order, and make clear that
the right to claim executive privilege is personal to current and former
presidents, not vice-presidents, aides, or relatives. It also mandates that
unless a court upholds the privilege claim, the records will be released
within 20 days of the claim being made. If a privilege claim was not made,
all records will be released 12 years after a president leaves office.

Whistleblower Protection Enhancement Act of 2007: This bill protects any
lawful disclosure by a federal employee that the employee reasonably
believes is credible evidence of waste, abuse, gross mismanagement, or
substantial danger to public health or safety. I am committed to fighting
waste, fraud, and corruption in government, and I will keep working to
ensure that "good government" is not just rhetoric used during elections.

Growing momentum for our campaign!

I was honored to receive the endorsement of the Executive Committee of the
Republican State Central Committee this week. In addition, the majority of
the State Central Committee members have stated their public support for our
campaign. It is an honor to know that the leadership of the Republican Party
is united behind our efforts!

Enjoying time on the water

Last weekend, I had a great time fishing on Lake Pontchartrain and the
Intercoastal Canal with friends. The weather was perfect, and we were able
to snag a few speckled trout once we got down closer to St. Bernard Parish.
I hope we are able to catch a few red fish the next time we go out though!

I hope you enjoy the weekend, and please feel free to contact my office if
we can be of any assistance to you!

Sincerely,
Bobby