[StBernard] 7500.00 monies

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Mar 29 06:51:56 EDT 2007

My husband went to the Road to nowhere building on Jean Laffitte in
Chalmette. They told him you are automaticly signed up for the
money when
you to your meeting. He said there is a scam in Metairie that is
telling
people to go to a website and print the sheet out then send money
with it.

So now I am totally confussed as I called the 800 number and they
told me to
go pick up the list and app at the office.......... So once again
you are
in the dark..

Liz

My husband and I went to the LRA office in Baton Rouge... and from what we
could gather they are having trouble getting people to understand... there
is an LRA cap of $150K... but if you do not reach that cap with your award
letter from LRA then you immediately qualify (even if you turn down LRA
moneis) for the $7,500 worth of Mitigation Grant Money which can only be
used to fix up a home or help to reinforce a home against a storm. There
was a huge list of which you could pick and choose what to spend the money
on.... from reinforcements to your garage door to plywood to shutters...
This $7,500 has the same catch which all LRA money has ... you must stay in
Louisiana for 3 years and the $7,500 must go toward "home" improvements...
Even if it is a new home you purchased after the storm... there are still
items on the list for everyone living in this hurricane zone. As I typed in
my first posting... The people at LRA could not of been nicer with regard to
the $7,500 in Mitigation Grant $...

In fact they recommended that our InLaws who did tear down their home in
Arabi and were insured more than most apply for LRA so they can at least
receive the $7,500 to put towards specific items on a home they are
currently building. The only catch is you must stay in Louisiana for 3
years. Yes... the $7,500 is tagged as to on what items you can spend it but
at least it is $7,500...

Personally, I could use reinforcements for our garage doors, some plywood
as well as a storm front/side door... but it will all depend on how far I
can stretch the $7,500... We are looking forward to using these funds... I
will post how is goes... and if we have any trouble along the way...

In speaking with Maragaritte at the LRA in Baton Rouge... she was speaking
of a mass mailing and some form of website to let the public know of these
funds an dhow even if you reject the LRA funds... you still qualify for the
$7,500 to storm improve your property. I know we watched a powerpoint
display on what was covered while we were there... hopefully they place that
online for all to see.

Thank you,
Amanda