[StBernard] Lobbyist John Breaux Not a Citizen, Shouldn't Run - Top 10 Media Highlights

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Apr 2 22:50:51 EDT 2007

#10 Baton Rouge Advocate Editorial: "The Louisiana Constitution requires
that the governor be a citizen of Louisiana for the five years before
qualifying for the office. The former senator called that status into
question by registering to vote in another state and declaring his homes in
Washington and Maryland as his residences.The fact is, though, if his name
were not John Breaux he would not receive the deference on this point that
he does. Most of us, if we moved our voting residence to another state,
would not be impudent enough to call ourselves "citizen" of our former
state. Louisiana faces tremendous challenges. This year's election should be
about the future and not one candidate's place of residence."

("Breaux status is in question." Baton Rouge Advocate editorial. Mar 28,
2007. http://www.2theadvocate.com/opinion/6739296.html.)

#9 New York Times: "Yet the Washington savvy with which Mr. Breaux is
widely credited carries its own pitfalls here, too, in a peculiar election
year in which beleaguered local voters are more fed up, and more ready for
change, than perhaps at any time since the desperate Huey Long years of the
Great Depression. Mr. Breaux represents skill, but he also symbolizes the
political establishment. 'In a year of reform, John Breaux is a clear
personification of Louisiana's history, not its future,' said [Louisiana
pollster and political consultant Elliott] Mr. Stonecipher, the consultant."

("Louisiana Opening Offers Chance to Recast a Shaky Relationship With
Washington. ADAM NOSSITER, New York Times. March 22, 2007.)

#8 Bayou Buzz's Stephen Sabludowsky: "I say, John Breaux, Geaux home, to
Maryland. You weren't here for years after Katrina when we really needed
you. Many of us were giving of ourselves for nothing to save the state, not
raking in millions to fund another state.You haven't picked up the rubble of
the houses, the dead from the water, the rot of the kitchens, nor cried in
the middle of the night--wondering if this state would survive.Their homes
might be tattered, but not their hopes. It is time for the Democrats and
Republicans to fight the issues of Today among those who have been over the
past two years, the Louisiana Proud. We cannot afford to skirmish over the
legal battles of Tomorrow over an election qualification issue you just
might lose, anyway." ("John Breaux, Say Neaux To Louisiana Governor
Election. Stephen Sabludowsky, BayouBuzz.com. March 28, 2007.
http://www.bayoubuzz.com/News/Louisiana/Politics/Governor_race/John_Breaux_S
ay_Neaux_To_Louisiana_Governor_Election___3260.asp.)

#7 Townhall Show's Lee Fletcher: "Breaux represents what is wrong with
Louisiana politics. He also never takes any responsibility for what happened
on his watch over a period of nearly 30 years. He actually does not get that
he is responsible for what happened or did not happen on his watch.
Louisiana is last on many important lists because of our weak leadership.
Leadership of which John Breaux served as the senior senator and leader for
many years. He is a blast from the past that cannot possibly realize that
while he was getting filthy rich, Louisiana wound up dead last in many of
the most important categories of all.Note to Breaux from his press
conference: You may not want to admit to the entire state, as you did, you
are not even registered to vote in Louisiana while making the case that you
should be governor." ("John Breaux Confirms He Is Not Registered in LA." Lee
Fletcher, Townhallshow.com. March 29, 2007. http://www.townhallshow.com/.)

#6 Northside Journal's Neil S. Kavanagh: "Now, when the citizens of
Louisiana are beginning to shout for change; when the old corrupt political
machine is slowly being dismantled; Breaux comes slinking back to our state.
Like a spectre rising from a dark graveyard, he brings our struggling state
nothing more than the promise of Edwards style corruption, cronyism, bribery
and racketeering.Now, more than any time in recent memory, the people of
this state have an opportunity to create our own destiny by making choices
for the future, not relying on the stench of the past. The past is Breaux's
gift to Louisiana the future is your gift to Louisiana. Look to the future."
("Just What is a Citizen?" Op-ed. Neil S. Kavanagh, Northside Journal. March
29, 2007. http://www.northsidejournal.com/)

#5 Hotline: LOUISIANA GOVERNOR; WASN'T BREAUX SUPPOSED TO BE MORE
COMPETITIVE? "A Southern Media & Opinion Research poll; conducted 3/15-19;
surveyed 600 LVs; margin of error +/- 4% (release, 3/19). Tested: Gov.
Kathleen Blanco (D), ex-Sen. John Breaux (D), PSC Commis Foster Campbell
(D), state Sen. Walter Boasso (R), '03 candidate/Rep. Bobby Jindal (R-01).
General Election Matchups: Jindal 56%; Breaux 26; Campbell 5; Boasso 2;
Undec/other 12. ("CAMPAIGNS OF '07." Hotline. March 22, 2007.)

#4 Shreveport Times Op-Ed by LSU Law School Professor John Baker:
"Following Katrina, John Breaux registered to vote in Maryland. He thereby
ceased being a "citizen" of Louisiana. Accordingly, he was dropped from the
voting rolls in Acadia Parish. Unless the state judiciary completely
disregards the Louisiana Constitution, relevant statutes and case-law, he
has disqualified himself from running for governor because he has not "been
a citizen of this state for at least the preceding five years." (""Legal
barrier to Breaux candidacy significant." John S. Baker Jr. Op-ed.
Shreveport Times. March 18, 2007.
http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070318/OPINION01
06/703190322/1058/ADVERTISING.)

#3 Plaquemines Gazette Editorial: ".For one thing, there are serious
questions about the legality of a Breaux candidacy. Since he moved his voter
registration out of state, he technically fails to qualify as a viable
candidate." (Editorial. Plaquemines Gazette. March 23, 2007.)

#2 Bastrop Enterprise Editorial: "His moving to Maryland indicates Breaux
chose to sever his ties to the state. For him to even consider coming back
wreaks (sic) of thinking he could be the state's savior. And though we
desperately need one, it should be someone who has not been part of the
problem for the last 30 years. Louisiana needs new ideas and new
leadership.We urge you to join others across the state trying to dissuade
Breaux from testing both the letter of the law and Louisiana's patience."
("No go for Breaux. Editorial. Bastrop Enterprise. March 21, 2007.)

.And the TOP Recent Story on Why John Breaux Should not Run..

..Drum Roll, Please....

#1 John Breaux's hometown paper, Lafayette Daily Advertiser, Editorial: "We
believe it is in the state's best interest that former U.S. Sen. John Breaux
not run for governor at this time. His emergence as a potential candidate
already has distracted state political leaders from concentrating on our
recovery. the campaign will be hijacked by political power brokers and
dumped into our courts in a fight over what the word "citizen" means. We
will waste months that could be better spent devising strategies to help our
state recover..." ("Breaux should not run for governor." Editorial.
Lafayette Daily Advertiser. March 22, 2007.
http://www.acadiananow.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070322/OPINION01/703
220328/1014/OPINION)

###