[StBernard] Fighting to protect your rights

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Apr 8 20:55:26 EDT 2007

April 8, 2007

Dear friends,

Fighting to protect your rights

Earlier this week, I was honored to have the top officials from the National
Rifle Association (NRA) and U.S. Senator David Vitter join me on a statewide
tour of Louisiana to talk about the work we are doing to protect Second
Amendment rights in Congress.

At stops in Alexandria, Bastrop, Shreveport, and Lake Charles, I enjoyed
having a chance to meet with so many people who understand the importance of
fighting for our rights.

I have been a vocal advocate for Second Amendment rights in Congress, and I
have spearheaded efforts to ensure that Louisiana residents are able to
defend themselves. Last year, a bill I authored, the Disaster Recovery
Personal Protection Act, was signed into law, and it reaffirms that in times
of disaster, you cannot throw out the Constitutional amendment that
guarantees the right of the people to keep and bear arms.

In the immediate aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, our law enforcement
officers, despite their heroic efforts, could not be everywhere at once.
Many residents were sitting in their homes without power, without water, and
without any communication. During this difficult time, residents needed to
protect their homes and families any way they could.

Unfortunately, some law-abiding citizens had their guns confiscated and they
were left unable to defend themselves. This is outrageous, especially when
you remember the "you loot, we shoot" signs posted by residents to protect
their property and to warn criminals to stay away. I am honored to stand up
for Louisiana residents in Congress, and I will keep working to protect our
rights.

Expanding economic opportunities

The House of Representatives is out of session this week, which means I have
had the opportunity to travel around the state. I have had a great time
visiting with residents in Belle Chasse, Slidell, Lutcher, Marksville,
Mansura, Urania, Oakdale, Many, Natchitoches, Lafayette, Jennings,
Intracoastal City, Abbeville, Church Point, Baton Rouge, Minden, Downsville,
and Farmerville this week.

In addition, I had the chance to stop in and visit with some local workers
at a plant in Pineville. I talked about the importance of creating more
economic development in our state, so that our children and grandchildren
can find opportunities right here at home. I am committed to this effort,
and will continue to emphasize the importance of expanding the opportunities
available for our residents.

Encouraging young artists in Louisiana

Each year, I have the opportunity to host a district-wide high school art
competition. This year the theme is "An Artistic Discovery," and the winning
artwork, as judged by an expert panel, will hang in the United States
Capitol alongside pieces from Congressional districts across the country.

Louisiana is home to so many talented artists, and I look forward to seeing
all of the entries this year. I expect the students of the First District
will make this a very difficult competition for the judges, and that the
winner will make everyone in our state proud.

The competition is open to high school students in Louisiana's First
District. Please contact my office if you would like additional information.

I am looking forward to seeing the artwork the students produce this year!

Celebrating Easter

Last weekend, my children went to an early Easter egg hunt, and they truly
enjoyed themselves. This was Slade's first Easter egg hunt, so he was in awe
of the entire event, but his big sister and big brother offered to find some
eggs for him. All three of our children were excited about the surprise
visit that the Easter Bunny made, and we wanted to share some photos of that
with you.

This weekend, my wife and I attended Easter services at church so that we
could reflect on the wonder of Gods love and rejoice in the promise of new
life. I hope you and your family have had a great Easter weekend.

As always, please feel free to contact my office if we can be of any
assistance to you.

Sincerely,
Bobby