[StBernard] property taxes

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Apr 11 20:40:11 EDT 2007

Deborah,

Here in lies another aspect of the blighted property issue. Once there has
been significant movement with the LRA our blighted housing ordinance that
includes requirements for repairing properties can then be enforced. If
these people wish to sell to the LRA, the liens that are placed for
nonpayment of taxes will have to be satisfied, if they are sold at a
sheriff's sale the new owner will inherit the repair requirements despite
not having clear title.

Remember that the ordinance is already in place for repair requirements but
the balance of pushing for enforcement and people having access to the
awaited financial assistance is a pretty tricky line. The bottom line is to
get as many cleaned or demoed as possible. If a house that is slated for
demolition, the property tax issue should not interfere with that process
since condemnation for demolition does not result in taking ownership of the
property.

God Bless,
Craig