[StBernard] Statement from Rep. Melancon on White House's Opposition to Morganza to the Gulf

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Apr 11 22:43:47 EDT 2007

WASHINGTON, D.C. - U.S. Rep. Charlie Melancon commented today on a
draft policy paper from the Bush administration advocating that
authorization for the Morganza to the Gulf hurricane and storm protection
project be removed from an upcoming comprehensive water projects bill. The
bill, called the Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) of 2007, fully
authorizes the long-awaited system of levees, floodgates and locks that
would protect an estimated 120,000 people and 1,700 square miles in
Lafourche and Terrebonne Parishes. The White House's position paper, called
a Statement of Administration Policy, has not been finalized yet, but the
draft clearly requests that Congress remove the Morganza project from WRDA.

Rep. Melancon said, "Authorization for Morganza to the Gulf has
already passed the House of Representatives three times. Three times! Yet
the people of Terrebonne and Lafourche are still waiting for hurricane
protection because of political games and bureaucratic foot-dragging. After
Rep. Baker and I passed Morganza through the House at the end of the 109th
Congress, a Republican Senator from Oklahoma put a procedural 'hold' on the
bill, likening Morganza to 'pork barrel spending.' Now the Administration
is trying to put a 'hold' of its own on the project."

"Despite this latest hurdle, I am confidant Morganza will still be
included in WRDA when we vote on it in the House next week. Today I
secured a commitment from House leadership that they would overlook the
President's objections to Morganza and keep this vital hurricane and flood
protection project in WRDA. I am pleased my leadership, and especially
Chairman Jim Oberstar who drafted this bill, understands how important
Morganza is to the people of south Louisiana and won't sacrifice our needs
to political expediency."

"By opposing Morganza to the Gulf, the Administration is gambling
with the lives and property of over one hundred thousand Louisianians, who
currently have no protection from deadly hurricanes and flooding. It's
time for the political games to end."

"I will continue working with the rest of the Louisiana delegation
to convince the Administration of the serious need for Morganza and the
hurricane protection it would provide for the people of south Louisiana.
Protecting Americans from natural disasters should be a top priority for our
government, and I hope the Administration realizes the need for Morganza and
reverses its position on the project before Congress sends this bill to the
President for his signature."

Rep. Melancon has made authorization for Morganza to the Gulf one of
his top priorities in Congress. In May of 2006, when WRDA appeared to be
stalled, Rep. Melancon introduced the Meeting Authorizations for our Coast
(MARC) Act. Dubbed "Louisiana's WRDA," the MARC Act would have authorized
Morganza to the Gulf and other vital hurricane and flood protection projects
in Louisiana that Hurricanes Katrina and Rita proved were urgently needed.

In the closing hours of the 109th Congress, Rep. Melancon tried
again to get authorization for Morganza, this time in a stand-alone piece of
legislation he introduced with Rep. Richard Baker and Senator Mary Landrieu.
While the bill quickly passed the House, it was blocked in the Senate when
Senator Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) placed a procedural "hold" on the bill, calling
it "pork-barrel" spending.

Rep. Melancon again tried to secure full authorization for Morganza
in January of this year, making it the first bill he introduced in the 110th
Congress. Senator Landrieu introduced companion legislation in the Senate.
Since then, Rep. Melancon has worked with House Transportation and
Infrastructure Committee Chairman Jim Oberstar to include full authorization
for Morganza in the 2007 WRDA bill, which is expected to pass the House of
Representatives in the next few weeks.

# # #