[StBernard] civilians at the Corps

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Apr 13 23:46:50 EDT 2007

Unless you have worked for the COE, you may not be aware that even the
highest level civilians
work at the pleasure of the military either overtly or covertly. In other
words, high ranking civilians
have been forced out or committed career suicide because they spoke out of
turn, didn't give Congress the testimony that the military wanted,etc. You
seem to have an impression that the civilians are in charge of the military.
Look at the name-U S ARMY, Corps of Engineers. Ever wonder why some in
Congress want the civilian works pulled away and placed under a civilian
department, like the Dept of the Interior, or some new civilian dept. It's
because they know it is a military organization and the inner circle is as
military as
any other branch of the military, except the Corps has a civilian, public
works mission in addition to a
military mission. I have great respect for the US military. I was only
pointing out that the military engineer is trained and educated very
differently than a civilian civil engineer. Flood protection falls under the
military engineers at a national level. ddk