[StBernard] Continuing our commitment to quality affordable housing

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Apr 17 00:41:40 EDT 2007

Continuing our commitment to quality affordable housing
A column by Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco

Like yours, my family house in Lafayette is much more than simply four walls and a roof. It has been the setting of so many cherished family memories - it is a home. Every family deserves a place to call home. That's why I continue my commitment to quality, affordable housing in Louisiana.

My Solutions to Poverty Network recognized our state's need in this area, and our team was developing a solid approach when Hurricanes Katrina and Rita struck. The storms severely damaged more than 200,000 homes; turning our housing need into a housing crisis. But this early commitment to combating poverty by meeting housing shortfalls helped lay a foundation of understanding, upon which we crafted the largest housing program in our nation's history - the Road Home.

Certainly, it has been a challenging path toward restoring our housing stock, and that's why two months ago I traveled to Washington to tell Louisiana's housing story and demand the federal help our people deserve. I introduced my Congressional recovery agenda - including removing federal barriers blocking our recovery. Our friends of the new Congress pledged to help, vowing to focus on our need for affordable housing.

We're making great progress. The House of Representatives recently passed measures to extend the Disaster Voucher Program, providing financial assistance to our families affected by the storms. Congress also extended Low Income Housing Tax credits to help developers build affordable housing. Additional legislation providing increased funding to assist displaced renters and public housing residents also passed the House.

Back at home, we continue to do our part. Road Home award recipients will now receive a lump sum payment of their full award following closing. This federal change is a blessing for many homeowners, but it also leaves them vulnerable to potential fraud by unscrupulous contractors. I am fiercely determined to protect our homeowners. Attorney General Charles Foti and I are working to prevent fraudulent contractors from demanding large, upfront payments for services.
I also urge homeowners to consult their mortgage holders and financial advisors before beginning repairs to avoid having to use this rebuilding money to cover missed payments.

Because so many families are still trying to return to Louisiana, I continue to work with FEMA to develop a repatriation program that helps our people transition home. This program reimburses some travel expenses for families returning to their communities. I am confident the federal government will move forward with funding this program.

As we rebuild our great state, we must not replicate the pockets of poverty that have historically plagued Louisiana. To increase the availability of affordable housing statewide, my executive budget includes $25 million for the Louisiana Housing Trust Fund. These funds will be used to offset increasing costs of insurance premiums and home rehabilitation. We will also invest in assisting qualified potential homeowners with down payment and closing costs and provide home ownership and credit counseling.

We are rebuilding a stronger Louisiana - home by home.

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org