[StBernard] Melancon Gets Provisions Added to WRDA Amendment to Benefit South Louisiana Projects

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Apr 17 21:28:28 EDT 2007

WASHINGTON, D.C. - U.S. Rep. Charlie Melancon announced today that
two provisions supporting south Louisiana project were included in the
Manager's Amendment to a major water projects bill the House will be voting
on as early as Thursday. The bill, entitled the Water Resources
Development Act of 2007, authorizes numerous hurricane and flood control
projects for Louisiana, including the Morganza to the Gulf hurricane and
storm protection system and the comprehensive Louisiana Coastal Area coastal
restoration study and projects. WRDA also de-authorizes the Mississippi
River Gulf Outlet (MRGO), requiring the Army Corps of Engineers to
permanently close the waterway that has been blamed for increasing Hurricane
Katrina's storm surge that flooded St. Bernard Parish.

"Critical water projects in south Louisiana have been stalled for
years because past Congresses haven't been able to agree on a WRDA bill,"
said Rep. Melancon. "This year, things are different, and we are moving
forward with passing a WRDA bill that makes hurricane protection and coastal
restoration in Louisiana a major federal priority. I will continue working
to make sure WRDA passes Congress quickly so we can get the ball rolling on
Morganza, MRGO's closure, and a comprehensive coastal restoration effort."

At the request of Rep. Melancon, WRDA's chief sponsor, House
Transportation and Infrastructure Committee Chairman James Oberstar,
included several provisions benefiting south Louisiana in his Manager's
Amendment. Specifically, the amendment includes language drafted by Rep.
Melancon to require that the federal government cover the future cost of
operating and maintaining the locks and floodgates that will be built as
part of the Morganza to the Gulf hurricane and storm protection system.

Furthermore, the amendment also includes Rep. Melancon's provision
to assist the Port of Terrebonne with its efforts to secure federal
assistance with improving the Houma Navigation Canal, in accordance with
efforts to provide comprehensive hurricane and flood protection for Houma
and surrounding communities. Currently, the Corps of Engineers is
conducting a feasibility study to determine the national economic
development benefits associated with improving the Canal. The Melancon
provision requires the Corps to evaluate the predicted increase in contracts
for new energy exploration and contracts for the fabrication of energy
infrastructure when calculating the economic benefits that would result from
carrying out the project. Typically, these contracts are not included in
the Corps' feasibility s! tudies, putting Louisiana's offshore oil and gas
fabrication ports, like the Port of Terrebonne, at a disadvantage.

Rep. Melancon added, "I am pleased Chairman Oberstar agreed with me
that maintaining Morganza should be a federal responsibility. As I told him
in my request, the people of Terrebonne and south Lafourche want and need
hurricane and flood protection so desperately that they've been taxing
themselves for years to pay for their share of Morganza and the existing
hurricane protection system. They don't deserve the additional burden of
maintaining the system after it's finally completed."

"I am also grateful we see eye-to-eye on the Houma Navigational
Canal project, which will bring more jobs for Terrebonne and Lafourche.
With this amendment, we level the playing field for the Port of Terrebonne
and make it more likely the Corps will move forward with improving the HNC."

# # #