[StBernard] Governor Blanco declares Day of Mourning, asks Louisianans to honor victims of Virginia Tech trage

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Apr 19 21:54:38 EDT 2007

Governor Blanco declares "Day of Mourning", asks Louisianans to honor victims of Virginia Tech tragedy

BATON ROUGE - As an expression of support for the Commonwealth of Virginia, Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco today declared Friday, April 20 a "Day of Mourning" to honor victims of the Virginia Tech tragedy. The Governor also asked that bells at churches and other structures throughout the state toll their bells in mourning and for Louisianans to participate in a statewide moment of silence at 11:00 a.m. (noon EST) Friday.

"The pain shared among citizens following the tragedy at Virginia Tech reaches far beyond Blacksburg and into the hearts and minds of Louisianans," Gov. Blanco said. "We stand beside our friends in the Commonwealth of Virginia, just as Virginians stood by us in our moment of need. We will continue to offer our prayers and support to members of the Hokie community as they recover from this horrific event."

In a letter sent yesterday expressing gratitude for prayers and well wishes extended from citizens across the nation, Virginia Governor Timothy Kaine asked governors to join the Commonwealth's Day of Mourning tomorrow.

"It is clear that difficult days lie ahead as we all embrace the grieving process that is sure to come. Again, I thank you for your thoughts and prayers and ask that you continue to keep Virginia Tech in your hearts and minds as we all work together to overcome this horrific tragedy," Gov. Kaine said.

Gov. Blanco ordered that United States flags be flown at half staff at all state buildings through April 22, keeping with President George W. Bush's order. The Governor also instructed Commissioner of Higher Education Joe Savoie and State Police Col. Henry Whitehorn to reinforce all campus safety plans.

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org