[StBernard] Is there anything we can do?

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Apr 21 20:27:24 EDT 2007

Kudos Westley on the article.

The info that my friend passed along about not being able to remove a
person from college if they are threat, because of *their* rights scared
the hell out of me.

Also, the flaw in the laws, as now written, is that thing about
"involuntary commitment". That needs to be changed to *any* commitment,
voluntary or otherwise. If an individual agrees to a 24 or 48 hr.
observation, then they themselves have admitted they're having some
issues.

The Johnson Space Center thing is something that amazed me when I worked
at a NASA facility in the N.O. area. We had decals on our vehicles that
allowed us to pass through the gate plus our picture i.d. However, once
I got to the parking lot I was screened no further. Each day I carried
a soft-side briefcase with me. That case was never checked the entire
time I worked there.

Compare that to when I worked at the VA Regional Office in downtown NOLA
at 701 Loyola Ave. Each morning I walked through the metal detector and
the bag went on the x-ray thing. My lunch in the bag had to go through
also until we got the postal security to agree to open those on the side
instead of thru the machine. I wasn't fond of irradiated left overs.
;-)

Here are my thoughts on the shootings at Virginia Tech, Johnson Space
Center, and North Shore over the past week.

Westley