[StBernard] Baker rejects Dems' troop supplemental bill, calls for swift veto

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Apr 25 21:43:21 EDT 2007

The News from Congressman Richard H. Baker
Sixth District, Louisiana
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: April 25, 2007
CONTACT: Michael DiResto, 225-929-7711

Baker rejects Dems' troop supplemental bill, calls for swift veto

WASHINGTON - U.S. Rep. Richard Baker, R-Baton Rouge, issued the following statement today on his intentions to vote against a Democratic conference troop supplemental spending bill, and his support for a quick Presidential veto:

“The Democrats are playing a dangerous game of chicken with our troops caught in the middle. By micromanaging troop movements and calling for an arbitrary surrender date, they also undermine commanders in the field in the midst of a new and aggressive counter-insurgency strategy that is already showing progress. But it’s been clear to me for some time now that the Democratic leadership is no longer content with criticizing our progress toward victory but is now actively trying to help bring about our defeat.

“Despite the fact that Democratic leaders, cynically in my view, have attached to this bill important funding for Louisiana’s recovery that each of us in the delegation has worked hard for, I cannot for the life of me understand why this bill would be hailed by Louisiana Democrats. And I cannot in good conscience vote to accept this money, no matter how vital it is for our state, at the steep price of selling out America’s troops and accepting America’s defeat in a war that’s still winnable.

“I call on President Bush to veto this awful bill swiftly, and I will vote to uphold his veto so we can move onto the business of getting the troops the resources they need to succeed in battle without these irresponsible strings attached, and getting Louisiana the resources it needs to recover and rebuild.”

-30-

For more news about Congressman Baker, please visit
www.baker.house.gov