[StBernard] E-Update From Senator David Vitter

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Apr 28 00:12:52 EDT 2007

IN THIS ISSUE

MAKING PROGRESS ON I-49
PASSING THE WATER RESOURCES DEVELOPMENT ACT
HELPING TURTLE FARMERS
FIGHTING THE TAX BURDEN

I spent the end of March traveling across Louisiana. It was great visiting
with folks and hearing what is on your mind. I held town hall meetings in
nine different parishes when I was home, and I am looking forward to hosting
more town hall meetings. Please continue checking my website to see when I
will be in your area.

Now that the U.S. Senate is back in session, I have been working on many
important issues. The Senate recently debated a stem cell bill that would
allow federal taxpayer dollars to fund stem cell research that destroys
human embryos. I strongly opposed this bill and voted against it.

The Senate Environment and Public Works Committee also heard testimony from
Lt. Gen. Robert L. Van Antwerp, Jr. who has been nominated by the president
to be the next Chief Engineers for the Army Corps of Engineers. As a member
of that committee I pushed for a full hearing on his nomination to make sure
that he is the right man for the job and that he will help reform the Corps.

Below you can read more about I-49, passing the Water Resources Development
Act, protecting out turtle farmers, tax reform and other key issues for
Louisiana families.

David Vitter Signature

P.S. - Please feel free to forward the newsletter to your friends, neighbors
and business associates, and encourage them to sign up for their own copy by
visiting my Web site at http://vitter.senate.gov/.

I recently spoke at a U.S. Senate Commerce Committee hearing about the
importance of passing legislation to allow the reimportation of prescription
drugs. Americans deserve access to safe, cheaper prescription drugs
reimported from other countries like Canada, and I have introduced a bill
that will allow all Americans to reimport prescription drugs, including
through the mail and internet.

Making Progress on I-49

Our highway infrastructure is vitally important to our economy and our
day-to-day lives. Shipping trucks, commuter travel and shopping access are
just a few examples of the importance our highway and interstate systems
have in daily life. In 2005, the U.S. Congress passed a highway bill that
provided much-needed funding to improve our highway system in this country.
When this bill was being debated I fought for critical federal funding on
I-49.

The completion of I-49
<http://vitter.senate.gov/?module=PressRoom/VittersView&ID=d28132eb-9b5b-416
8-85e0-2f70986d284f> will provide a major transportation corridor
connecting Mid-America and Canada to the deep-water ports of Louisiana.
Because of the importance of I-49, I made it a priority when the final
version of the bill was being drafted, and I personally worked with our
Congressional delegation to secure $250 million specifically for I-49. We
also secured the highest level ever of federal formula funds for Louisiana,
which will bring in another $2.9 billion for the state over the next five
years. I know how important I-49 is to the entire state, and I will
continue to work with state and local leaders to make progress on I-49.

Passing the Water Resources Development Act

Soon the Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) will be debated on the
Senate floor. As a member of the Senate Environment and Public Works
Committee I have been very involved with this legislation, and it is a
priority of mine to see it passed into law.

WRDA is a crucial piece of legislation for Louisiana. Some of the key
provisions I have fought for in this bill and this bill are the Louisiana
Water Resources Council to serve as the exclusive per review entity for all
Corps projects in the disaster areas of Hurricane Katrina and Rita; full
integration of our water resource projects in south Louisiana - including
hurricane, coastal, flood and navigation - to ensure that our projects are
being carried out in an efficient and coordinated manner; authorization of
the entire Morganza to the Gulf hurricane protection project in Terrebonne
and Lafourche parishes and an expedited process for closure of the
Mississippi River Gulf Outlet. I am hopeful that the Senate and House of
Representatives will be able to reach an agreement on this legislation in
the near future.

Helping Turtle Farmers

Earlier this year I introduced legislation
<http://vitter.senate.gov/?module=PressRoom/PressItem&ID=23b984c2-f4dd-4b7f-
9b07-24e60cde1553> that would help pet turtle farmers sell their turtles.
Current law prohibits the sale of baby turtles as pets because of the fear
of salmonella. My legislation does not ask for the ban to be lifted, but it
would allow turtle farmers to sell these pets as long as they follow the
appropriate safety measures and can show that they used proven methods to
prevent salmonella.

I have been working with Louisiana pet turtle farmers for years trying to
get the bureaucrats at the Food and Drug Administration to change its flawed
policy. The FDA is holding pet turtles to a standard that is impossible to
reach - one that even food products are not expected to attain - but my
legislation would allow Louisiana farmers to sell their pet turtles.

Fighting the Tax Burden

Tax day is always one of the most dreaded days of the year. And because of
the increasing complexity of the current tax system
<http://vitter.senate.gov/?module=PressRoom/VittersView&ID=213c80aa-16a4-4f0
a-a718-bb630f8070fb> , many of us find ourselves giving away our hard-earned
money just to comply with the multitude of rules dealing with deductions,
exemptions and other frustrating regulations. Each April, I grow more
frustrated with our current complicated tax code, which is why I have always
been a strong advocate of sweeping tax reform to provide a simpler, fairer
tax system.

Clearly the federal government spends too much, and it is critically
important for Congress and the president to be more fiscally responsible
with our money. Each year we pay a portion of our hard earned wages and we
expect that money to be spent wisely. Pork barrel spending and other
frivolous projects paid for by federal dollars only heighten our sensitivity
about shouldering the tax burden. We deserve a simpler, fairer tax
structure and a government that is more frugal with our tax dollars, and
I'll keep working in the U.S. Senate to lower the tax burden on Louisiana
families.