[StBernard] State Senator Walter Boasso's Official Statement

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat Apr 28 00:14:12 EDT 2007

Thursday April 26, 2007

Statement from State Senator Walter Boasso:

"I first ran for elected office four years ago to help people, solve
problems and make our state a better place to live, work and raise a family.
I didn't enter public service at the request of political parties, insiders,
deal makers or pundits. In fact, most of those people were uncomfortable
with my candidacy then - and they still are today.

As a member of the Louisiana Senate I have held true to my convictions and
worked to represent people, not special interests nor a political party. I
have worked to build bi-partisan coalitions that have reformed our
antiquated levee board system, controlled the growth of the state retirement
system and reformed the way we do business in our ports and along the
Mississippi River.

As a candidate for Governor, I have been listening to you and working to
spread our message of change and reform throughout the state. The political
deal makers have run this state for too long at the expense of so many of
our people who need affordable healthcare, quality education and the
opportunity to secure a good paying job. I will not be silenced by the
status quo or by those unwilling to embrace a new direction for our state.
The challenges are too large and we have no time to waste.

Therefore, today I have rejoined the Democratic Party because I believe that
running as a Democrat will give me the best opportunity to push an agenda
for change and reform. The people of Louisiana, regardless of party
affiliation, are in search of a leader, and are eager to stand side by side
with someone willing to challenge the establishment and reform our state.

As the son of a retired school teacher and disabled union electrician, I
started a company with $175 in my pocket with the goal of fulfilling the
American dream. Today my company employs over 500 workers. As Governor, I
will create those same opportunities for all of our citizens.

The destructive winds and devastating water of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita
didn't check party registration before doing their damage and we can't let
politics get in the way of rebuilding, creating jobs and providing relief
for Louisiana families.

As we begin this new phase in our campaign, I will continue to focus on
solving problems instead of just talking about them. We will outline a plan
to create jobs, make healthcare more affordable and accessible, improve
education opportunities for every child in Louisiana and make insurance
available to every Louisiana family.

We will aggressively work to rebuild our state from the destruction caused
by Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. Louisiana is at a period of rebirth. A
renaissance. A new beginning. And like anything at a crossroads, Louisiana
needs vision, leadership and a good sense of direction.

Together, we will rebuild our state, bring our people home and build a
brighter future for Louisiana."