[StBernard] Governor Blanco outraged by federal refusal to accept foreign aid following Hurricanes Katrina and R

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Apr 30 14:55:37 EDT 2007

Governor Blanco outraged by federal refusal to accept foreign aid following Hurricanes Katrina and Rita

BATON ROUGE - More than 10,000 pages of cables, telegraphs and e-mails from U.S. diplomats around the globe obtained by Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, D.C., under the Freedom of Information Act show that in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, the federal government turned down multiple offers of aid and support from U.S. allies. Records show that allies offered $854 million in cash and contributions of oil that was to be sold for cash, but only $40 million has been used so far for disaster victims or reconstruction. Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco today expressed disappointment for the federal government's refusal to accept assistance to aid victims of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita and support for U.S. Senator Mary L. Landrieu's call for hearings examining the situation through the Disaster Recovery Subcommittee of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee.

Statement by Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco:

"Like many Louisianans, I am disappointed and frustrated by news reports confirming that the federal government chose not to accept millions of dollars in aid and other assistance offered by U.S. allies in the aftermath of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. It is shocking to know that while thousands across Louisiana and the Gulf Coast were suffering from the greatest disaster in U.S. history, the federal government repeatedly refused to accept or wasted the aid our citizens so desperately needed. As our people were fighting for survival, governments around the world tried to help us, but our own federal government turned them away. This latest revelation of incompetence burns the wounds our people are desperately trying to heal.

"We are grateful for the generosity of businesses, faith-based organizations, nonprofits, foreign governments and individuals and ask that they continue to stand with us as we recover from these disasters.

"U.S. Senator Mary Landrieu, Chair of the Disaster Recovery Subcommittee, pledges to hold hearings to fully investigate this matter. I urge Members of Congress to support Sen. Landrieu's effort. Louisianans deserve to know why federal officials turned away aid offered by our allies and if cover-up e-mails by State Department officials blocked assistance. We must understand why aid was refused and prevent this failure from happening again."

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org