[StBernard] Louisianas historic opportunity

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Apr 30 18:14:57 EDT 2007

Louisiana's historic opportunity
A column by Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco

The 2007 Regular Session of the legislature will be one of our state's most significant. With increased momentum due to our economic development efforts, smart fiscal management and progressing recovery, we have an unprecedented opportunity to ensure a strong future for Louisiana.

My executive budget cuts taxes for families and businesses and outlines targeted investments in education, health care, housing and transportation. It offers a sound, bipartisan approach to resolving Louisiana's insurance crisis and delivers long overdue pay raises to first responders, state workers, teachers and school support workers.

Strengthening Louisiana's future requires breaking the cycle of "under funding" areas that can truly break the cycle of poverty that holds Louisiana back.

My plan to make Louisiana competitive begins with the greatest education investment in history. More than $600 million will fund every level of our education system---from pre-K to higher education. My budget fully funds higher ed and expands the LA4 early childhood development program. These investments will also redesign state high schools, deliver resources to higher education institutions and provide students with greater access through a need-based scholarship program. To reward and recruit educators, I propose raising teacher pay to the Southern regional average and increasing pay for college faculty/non-faculty and school support personnel.

We must further invest in Louisiana's people by increasing pay for corrections officers, probation and parole officers, state workers and state police, and raising state supplemental pay for police and firefighters.

Making quality health care available and affordable remains a major challenge for Louisiana. My budget prioritizes health care, including expanding health insurance for every Louisiana child.

Insurance Commissioner Jim Donelon and I designed a bipartisan, pro-consumer insurance plan. Our approach calls for a Consumer Bill of Rights, mandatory premium reductions for bringing existing property up to our new building codes, and a fund designed to attract new insurance companies to the state. We will depopulate La Citizens, our state insurer of last resort, requiring it to put existing policies out for competitive bid.

To keep Louisiana on the move, my budget includes $450 million in new funds for infrastructure. This is a monumental infusion of money that pushes us to our maximum road construction capacity.

Along with these targeted fiscal investments, we also have an opportunity to provide tax cuts for our families and businesses. My package includes a child tax credit, a school readiness tax credit, a back-to-school sales tax holiday and a business utilities sales tax cut along with economic development tax incentives.

I have shaped each of my executive budgets the same way that many families map out their personal finances; we must live within our means, prepare for the unexpected and spend wisely with our eye toward the future.

Together, we have held government accountable and kept spending in check. We've landed billions of dollars in new investments and created thousands of new quality jobs. Our work this session must accelerate Louisiana's prosperity, and a solid investment in our children and our future will certainly do just that.

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org