[StBernard] Louisiana Governor Blanco On Wrong Legislative Course

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed May 2 19:58:06 EDT 2007

Yesterday, Governor Kathleen Blanco addressed the Louisiana Legislature for
the last time as the state's chief executive.

She implored legislators to lift the spending cap and spend the surplus
funds, which will likely exceed $3 billion, counting the 2008 Fiscal Year.

Blanco wants to pour over $600 million into schools and universities, $400
million into roads in all 64 parishes, $200 million for coastal restoration
and flood protection, $100 million on an insurance incentive plan and $100
million to lure a German steelmaker to build a plant in Louisiana.

In my view, any surplus dollars should be spent on non-recurring projects,
such as coastal restoration and road construction. Teacher pay raises will
be recurring expenses and once this hurricane infused recovery is over,
future Louisiana governors will propose tax increases to cover these new
costs.

Currently, Louisiana spends over $6 billion on education, yet we rank at the
bottom of most of the lists ranking educational performance. Throwing more
money at the education problem will not solve it. A better idea would be to
totally restructure how we spend the current budget of over $6 billion.
Spend more in the classrooms and less on bureaucrats. Currently, we have too
many education department bureaucrats and do not pay teachers enough money.
Let teachers receive a pay raise and students receive better books and
equipment, only keep the current budget intact.

We need to use a healthy percentage of this surplus on helping the hard
working citizens and business owners of Louisiana. According to the
respected non-partisan watchdog group, the Tax Foundation, Louisiana is the
11th highest taxed state in the nation, per capita, meaning the citizens in
the Pelican State are grossly overtaxed. It seems to me that tax relief is
essential.

The Governor proposes only small tax cuts that are only window dressing.
Instead, we need major tax cuts on citizens, coupled with significant tax
relief for businesses.

The Louisiana budget has tripled in 12 years. Back in 1995, the budget was
only $10 billion, whereas today it approaches $30 billion. This type of
growth cannot be sustained without huge tax increases. At some point soon,
the hurricane induced gravy train of funds will subside. Then what are we
going to do?

We should prepare for that eventuality by spending these surplus dollars
wisely on one-time expenditures and giving a huge portion back to the hard
working citizens of Louisiana, who can use that money to invest in new
businesses, in their homes and their family. After everything Louisiana
citizens have had to endure since the hurricanes of 2005, it is the least
our politicians can do.

Jeff Crouere is a native of New Orleans, LA and he is the host of a
Louisiana based program, "Ringside Politics," which airs at 8:30 p.m. Fri.
and 10:00 p.m. Sun. on WLAE-TV 32, a PBS station, and Noon till 2 p.m.
weekdays on several Louisiana radio stations. For more information, visit
his web site at www.ringsidepolitics.com. E-mail him at
jeff at ringsidepolitics.com.