[StBernard] Spiritual Tune Up

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu May 3 00:00:54 EDT 2007

I appreciate the very positive response that the first edition of Life
Tune-Up Tips received and I'm going to keep them coming as long as you'd
like.

This issue is devoted to an important way of coping with life's slings and
throes of outrageous fortune, which is to develop a regular spiritual
practice.

The gifted founding fathers of our country were quick to acknowledge the
relationship between our Creator and the government. Even though the
Constitution contained a separation for church and state to avoid religious
persecution, our founders made no secret that they were inspired by God and
that the government was formed as a pass through of power from the Creator.
As spirituality forms the foundation for our country, it should also form
the foundation of your own life. The common denominator between those who
can handle adversity, who are genuinely happy, live life to its fullest and
lead moral lives is generally a strong spiritual foundation.

I was raised as a Roman Catholic and attended parochial schools where Roman
Catholic religion had a very strong influence on me. As a young adult, I
regularly attended Mass, mainly because my grandmother would always ask me
every week whether I had attended. Of course, I could not lie to my
grandmother. But even then, I viewed religious practice as a spiritual quid
pro quo which I had to do in order to ask for things, as if God was keeping
a giant ledger account upstairs.

It wasn't until I was in my thirties that I really began to fully appreciate
religion and spirituality in my life. Many use organized religion as a means
of engaging in a regular spiritual practice. The organizational structure
and fellowship help to guide their spiritual renewal. Others approach it
from a more individual perspective. What is important is taking the time to
contemplate or meditate and put yourself in contact with your Higher Power
and those portions of yourself and the world which are most important. A
regular spiritual practice can help rid your mind of clutter and negative
thoughts. It can help sustain you, particularly during times of high stress.
Not only can a regular spiritual practice quiet the mind and produce inner
peace, but it also can produce the strength to draw from during times of
adversity and help you deal with life's inevitable twists and turns.

Tim
http://www.midlifetuneup.com/