[StBernard] EDITORIAL: Blanco targets education needs

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu May 3 18:57:41 EDT 2007

EDITORIAL: Blanco targets education needs

Periodically, the press office will publish editorials and columns that feature Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco's work in various areas.

The Lafayette Daily Advertiser: Blanco targets education needs
Article published May 3, 2007
Click here to view the article online
<http://www.theadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070503/OPINION01/705030311/1014/OPINION>

Kathleen Blanco, in probably the last speech she will make to the state Legislature as governor, summed up a critical Louisiana problem in a unique way. "Poverty is just too expensive," she said. Because Louisiana ranks consistently as one of the poorest states in the nation, the state is caught in a cycle of "have to" spending versus "want to" investing, according to the governor.

The description is an ac! curate one. Again quoting the governor: "We're in the top 10 percent of states that 'have to' spend extraordinary amounts on poverty-driven social services - services like our prisons and indigent care. We're near the bottom of states in our ability to invest what we 'want to' in quality-of- life improvements."

The only way to break the cycle described by Blanco is through education - providing poor people with skills that are marketable in the workplace. The way out of poverty is through education and job training.

Blanco has laid out a plan for education that touches basic needs. We do not expect the Legislature to commit the exact amount of money to the plan that Blanco wants, but adequate funding of the various elements of the plan can mean advances in education that will help make ours a "want to" state rather than a "have to" state.

Probably the strongest weapon for fighting poverty is the LA-4 Pre-K program. Louisiana has been nationally recognized for its pre-K leadership. The Legislature must invest in the future of the program and the children it serves.

Blanco is also calling for funding for BESE's high-school redesign proposal. A key thrust of the program is reducing the extremely high dropout rate. It can also reduce the achievement gap between poor students and their more affluent classmates.

The governor is seeking a pay raise for teachers that would take them to the Southern Regional Average for the first time. She points out that all our neighboring states are funding teacher raises this year. If we continue to fall behind, we will face continuing problems in hiring and keeping good teachers.

Another major thrust of Blanco's education plan is making college affordable for all. She seeks funding for the state's first need-based financial aid program. Also at the college level, she is calling for full funding of the higher- education formula. The goal would be to provide resources that would make higher education in Louisiana fully competitive.

The Legislature has a lot of money this time around, and a lengthy list of worthwhile projects to spend it on. There may not be enough in the pot to provide the funds designated by Blanco for her education plan while meeting other pressing needs such as roads, hurricane recovery and health care. Still, the governor's program touches the most vital elements of progress in education and the Legislature should give thoughtful, non-partisan consideration to each proposal.

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org