[StBernard] teacher raises

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri May 4 00:40:07 EDT 2007

Westley,

Let me add to your comments.

First, I agree on the "concept" of a voucher system. However, what type of
voucher system? There are numerous versions to this concept, some good some
bad. I don't want to get into here because this could be an all day
discussion, but I agree we need to start taking a serious look at the idea.

Next, your comment on bringing back the vocational-technical programs is not
only a good idea, but an absolute must. Again, we can discuss many versions
of this, but for starters I say we model after the British public school
program. Again, not enough time to explain how it works, but it stresses
separating those students who are college material from those who prefer to
learn a trade - and will probably end up earning more income than the
college graduates.

Last, but not least, I agree we need to restructure the teacher pay scales
and give "significant" increases that go well above the southern average -
to the point where it'll have high school students fighting one another to
enter the education programs in college.

But, where there is a "give" there has to be a "take" - that is the way of
things when it comes to government and politics. In giving teachers
significant pay raises, in return I would require all teachers to become
classified as civil servants. This would place them in the same employee
category as any other state government employee. I'm not saying they can't
have their own retirement system - another issue for another day - I'm
talking about removing the political power of the teacher unions - which for
the life of me I can never understand how state and local education
officials ever allowed that to develop in the first place. I'll show my
brutal honesty (and Libertarian side) and admit that I've never really
understood the need today for unions since we have so many damned labor
protection laws on the state and federal books along with thousands of sue
happy lawyers. Anyway ....

I believe in giving the individual teacher and adminstrator higher pay and
every resource they need to become more effective educators, but decision
making and the politics should be left to those we elect to high office.
Teachers need to keep in mind they can't have their "political cake" and eat
it too. They have to decide do they want the money or do they want the
politcal stroke. Government officials - and the public - won't allow them
to have both.

This subject would make for an excellent public forum.

John Scurich