[StBernard] Governor Blanco: Louisiana has established a stronghold in the global economy

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri May 11 22:53:57 EDT 2007

Governor Blanco: Louisiana has established a stronghold in the global economy

BATON ROUGE - Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco issued the following statement after German steel manufacturer ThyssenKrupp today announced Alabama as its choice for its new plant:

"To be selected as one of two finalists from among 20 states and 67 sites for a project of this magnitude is a tremendous honor and proves that Louisiana is moving forward with extraordinary momentum. Our Louisiana team worked diligently to make it to this point in the process, and we will remain focused on fostering relationships with the many other companies interested in this location and countless others that recognize the value in doing business across Louisiana. Our success with this project demonstrates Louisiana has established a stronghold in the global economy and can successfully compete for world-class projects."

Bob Soulliere, President and CEO of ThyssenKrupp Steel and Stainless USA said:

"This was a very difficult decision. Louisiana made an excellent proposal and demonstrated many important and valuable attributes for business development. Governor Blanco and her team made a tremendous effort and the professional approach of officials in Louisiana made our decision all the more difficult. We thank the Louisiana state team for their hard work, dedication and commitment to the selection process.

"We recognize this announcement comes as a disappointment to many people in Louisiana, particularly those who worked so hard on this project. We are committed to fostering regional partnerships that will benefit the wider regional economy and remain steadfast believers in Louisiana as a viable economic engine."

Click here to read ThyssenKrupp's announcement. <http://www.thyssenkrupp.com/en/presse/art_detail.html&eid=TKBase_1178868417679_1659377840>

Gov. Blanco and LED Secretary Michael Olivier will hold a press conference this morning as Louisiana moves forward with its economic development mission.

9:30 a.m.
Governor's Press Room
Fourth Floor
State Capitol
Baton Rouge

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org