[StBernard] Anti-Stelly/Anti - Litter

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri May 11 23:02:12 EDT 2007

Anti-Stelly/Anti - Litter

Rep. Burns advocates Stelly Repeal before the House Ways and Means
Committee.

STELLY REPEAL PRESENTED TO WAYS AND MEANS COMMITTEE

Already battered by hurricanes and skyrocketing insurance costs, the middle
class has been hard hit by the income tax increases in the Stelly plan.
This week, I presented HB 445 to the House Ways and Means Committee which
would restore the tax rates to their level prior to the enactment of Stelly.
I also presented HB 448 which would restore our itemized deductions. As you
know, there are important policy reasons behind itemized deductions such as
facilitating home ownership and encouraging charitable contributions. The
doubly whammy of lost deductions coupled with rising rates has really
affected our tax paying citizens.

There are several bills filed which would repeal all or part of Stelly.
Although I can't promise anything at this time, I am encouraged by the
willingness of the commitee to address Stelly. With a b udget surplus, this
could be our best change to repeal Stelly, and I would urge you to contact
your legislator to support the Stelly repeal.

To determine who your legislator is, click here
<http://www.legis.state.la.us/> . Then, click on "How do I...?" in the left
column. Under "Legislator Questions"click on "How do I determine who is my
legislator?"

For a list of legislators, Click Here
<http://www.legis.state.la.us/bios.htm> .

ANTI LITTER BILL TO BE PRESENTED NEXT WEEK

Next week, I will be presenting HB 530, which would assist local authorities
in the fight against litter. It might be hard to believe, but commercial
waste haulers have been exempted by statute from the i ntentional and simple
littering laws that you and I have to comply with. I have brought this bill
up in the past and have not been successful in the Environmental Committee.
However, the committee membership has changed and I am hopeful that I will
be able to get the bill out of committee this year.

If you would like to contact any member on the commitee, please click the
following link

FOLLOW LEGISLATURE ON LEGISLATIVE WEBSITE

For those who are interested in the legislature, the site
www.legis.state.la.us <http://www.legis.state.la.us/> is actually quite
good and also a user friendly site that allows citizens to track bills and
listen to committee and floor hearings. If you need help navigating the
site, you can obtain information from the help desk at (225) 342-4000 or my
office at (985) 624 -4492.

Tim

Related:

I periodically send out newsletters on items of interest to the public. If
you would like to be added to my newsletter list, please click here.
<http://timburns.us/index.php?id=34>

<http://pr3.netatlantic.com/db/552651/12923361/1.gif>

You are currently subscribed to la-politics-from-the-inside as:
WESTLEY at da-parish.com
To unsubscribe click here
<http://pr3.netatlantic.com/u?id=12923361B&n=T&l=la-politics-from-the-inside
&o=552651>