[StBernard] Expanding higher ed access for low income students

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed May 16 21:37:53 EDT 2007

Sorry, not only is this a bad, bad idea, but it once again demonstrates how
wasteful our state government can spend in a time when we need to be
fiscally conservative.

As for the merits of the program and it's fairness? Let me sum it up for
you. Once again, we have a proposed program where only the poorest of the
poor (ahh, minority) can benefit and middle class households - where you
don't make enough money to make ends meet, but still make too much for your
kids to qualify for the program - will get nothing!

So, that means everyone in the middle class - whose kids won't qualify -
will still be paying for the program (through their taxes) for everyone
else.

Beside, why lower the standards of the TOPS program? In effect, that's
exactly what's going on here because the TOPS program already provides a way
for high school students - of any economic class - to "earn" (keyword) a
free trip to college. Why does Blanco and others want to just "give it
away" to kids who otherwise aren't smart enough to meet the minimum
standards of the TOPS program? And what makes them think these same kids
have it what it takes to cut the mustard in college? The answer is....gee,
could this be an election year??? Nahhhhh, that couldn't be it.

And what happens when a lot of these high school students head to LSU just
to have a "party semester" in the Fall just to drop out in December - or be
thrown out? What you'll have is a waste of thousands of dollars on each of
those drop outs. I have a better idea.

Any high school student - of any family income class - pays his/her way for
the first semester of their college attendance. After signing an agreement,
if they make a passsing GPA with full time hours, then that first semester
payment rolls into the next semester where they owe nothing. But, if they
fail at any future point and either drop out of college or dismissed, then
they have to repay the state for the semesters where their payment was
rolled forward. After all, if no incentive or threat of penalty is
established, then what motivation will any of these kids have to succeed?

Louisiana taxpayers have to be assured if we're going to foot the bill for
such a program, then we have to hold the students accountable for their
performance. Or another way of putting it....the taxpayers have to be
guarenteed a return on their investment.

- John Scurich