[StBernard] News Round Up: Citizens, Leaders View LRA Regional Plan as Vital to Recovery & Future Investmen

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu May 17 00:11:19 EDT 2007

Louisiana Recovery Authority <http://www.lra.louisiana.gov>
News Round Up: Citizens, Leaders View LRA
Regional Plan As Vital to Recovery & Future Investments

>From time to time, the LRA shares commentaries about issues surrounding the recovery. Today's news round up is a compilation of articles, columns and editorials that have been published in various newspapers across the state over the last two weeks in response to the Louisiana Speaks Regional Plan.

BATON ROUGE

COLUMN: Plan, focus vital to state's recovery
The (Baton Rouge) Advocate published a column by Lanny Keller today which referenced comments of Louisiana Speaks Champion, Brace Godfrey, who described the Louisiana Speaks Regional Plan as a valuable tool that should be used to guide future business investments and correct inequalities of the past.

"No longer will we have communities develop on a basis of come-what-may," Godfrey told a meeting of fellow "champions" of the Louisiana Speaks plan.

* To view the full column, click here <http://www.2theadvocate.com/columnists/insidereport/7524512.html> .

EDITORIAL: Build Smarter After Storms
The (Baton Rouge) Advocate recently published a second editorial in support of the smart growth principles embedded in the Louisiana Speaks Regional Plan and encouraged residents and policymakers to embrace policies from our past that will enable us to build smarter after the storms.

"Louisiana has a heritage of smart growth. The older parts of New Orleans were built on higher ground; that's what risk management was about in the 1700s. People lived and worked, and interacted with each other more richly in that environment; today, this is called the New Urbanist philosophy of town planning...Our future has creative examples all around us from our past."

* To view the full editorial, click here. <http://www.2theadvocate.com/opinion/7430566.html>

HOUMA/ THIBODAUX

ARTICLE: Recovery agency describes its plan
The Thibodaux Daily Comet recently published an article which described the Louisiana Speaks Regional Plan as a "hurricane-recovery road map that calls for concentrating development in existing cities and towns and in lower-risk areas, a new, high-speed rail system connecting the southern portion of the state and a regionalized approach to planning."

* To view the full article, click here. <http://www.dailycomet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070508/NEWS/705080309&SearchID=73281248277650> (registration required)

LAFAYETTE

ARTICLE: Plan focuses on rebuilding state
The Lafayette Daily Advertiser recently published an article which included reactions from leaders and citizens from Acadiana.

"Lafayette city-parish President Joey Durel was in attendance at the meeting, and said the ideas presented by the Louisiana Speaks group "have brought the idea of regionalizing to a whole new level."

* To view the full article, click here. <http://www.theadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007705100326>

LAKE CHARLES

ARTICLE: 'Regional Vision' could mean entirely new look for Gulf Coast
The Lake Charles American Press recently published an article that included recommendations from the Louisiana Speaks Regional Plan that are specific to Southwest Louisiana and reactions from Lake Charles Mayor Randy Roach.

"The plan emphasizes a regional approach. We have to depend on one another and support one another," Roach said. "LRA's planning process is not rocket science; it's a practical approach to long-term recovery."

* To view the full article, click here <http://www.americanpress.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1087&Itemid=105> .

NEW ORLEANS

ARTICLE: Planners unveil vision for La.; Rapid transit, denser development urged
The New Orleans Times Picayune recently published an article which highlighted specific transportation infrastructure projects included in the Louisiana Speaks Regional Plan.

The ambitious blueprint includes specific projects such as "A high-speed public transit link between Baton Rouge and New Orleans, possibly started with seed money from the LRA. Planners envision 75-mph commuter trains or high-tech buses with dedicated lanes that can switch traffic signals so they never have to stop. The plan also calls for expanding New Orleans streetcar lines to the West Bank, St. Bernard Parish and along Esplanade Avenue and out through Metairie to the airport."

* To view the full article, click here. <http://www.nola.com/timespic/stories/index.ssf?/base/library-124/1178174376268250.xml&coll=1>

The Louisiana Recovery Authority and Louisiana Speaks are hosting town hall meetings and presentations across the state throughout the month of May to present the Louisiana Speaks Regional Plan. Click here <http://www.louisianaspeaks.org/calendar.html> to check for upcoming events in your area.

To download the Louisiana Speaks Regional Plan, click here <http://www.louisianaspeaks.org/static.html?id=161> .

Louisiana Speaks is the long-term planning initiative of the Louisiana Recovery Authority that is supported with private funds provided by the LRA Support Foundation. The Center for Planning Excellence (CPEX), which was created to serve as a resource for residents, community organizations, developers and elected officials to provide information on best practices for planning and urban design, also provides support and management for the Louisiana Speaks initiative. Spanning parishes from the Texas to Mississippi border (including the Houma/Thibodaux, New Orleans, North Shore, Baton Rouge, Lafayette and Lake Charles, St. Bernard and Plaquemine areas), the Louisiana Speaks Regional Plan will provide a broad strategic framework and priorities for moving Louisiana forward.

Hurricanes Katrina and Rita devastated South Louisiana, claiming 1,464 lives, destroying more than 200,000 homes and 18,000 businesses. The Louisiana Recovery Authority (LRA) is the planning and coordinating body that was created in the aftermath of these st! orms by Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco to lead one of the most extensive rebuilding efforts in the world. The LRA is a 33-member body which is coordinating across jurisdictions, supporting community recovery and resurgence, ensuring integrity and effectiveness, and planning for the recovery and rebuilding of Louisiana.

###