[StBernard] Governor Blanco reminds Delegation of $4.6 billion in state funds used for hurricane recovery as pot

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu May 17 19:46:17 EDT 2007

Governor Blanco reminds Delegation of $4.6 billion in state funds used for hurricane recovery as potential Road Home shortfall is addressed

BATON ROUGE - As she works with Louisiana's Congressional Delegation to address the potential Road Home funding shortfall in Congress, Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco today shared specific details of the state's contributions to meet its own challenges in the wake of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. In a letter sent today, the Governor reminded Members that Louisiana provided an unprecedented $4.6 billion in state money for recovery items since the storms and called on the Delegation, other Members of Congress and additional federal partners to adequately address the Road Home and other ongoing recovery needs.

"Hurricanes Katrina and Rita presented unimaginable challenges for Louisiana," Governor Blanco said. "Following the storms, Louisiana pulled itself up and began the hard work of rebuilding. We continue to contribute to our recovery, using our available resources to aid our citizens and our communities. Recovering from the largest disasters in our nation's history requires a long-term solution. We have embarked on this long road to recovery by dedicating $4.6 billion in state funds to critical areas like coastal, education, medical, insurance, business and transportation infrastructure destroyed by the storms. Louisiana will never fully recover from this national disaster without sustained federal assistance our people deserve."

State funds obligated for recovery-related needs include:

* $188 Million - First responders and emergency preparation
* $1.9 Billion - Direct assistance to Louisiana citizens, including needs like the LA Citizens Insurance tax credit, repatriation for displaced citizens, the LA Swift bus service, and the state's FEMA match for assistance to individuals
* $813 Million - Accelerated tax credits for affected businesses and debt service assistance for local governments
* $1.2 Billion - Infrastructure construction and restoration
* $83 Million - Education emergency funding and faculty retention and recruitment
* $128 Million - Public assistance, hazard mitigation, and local match for FEMA assistance
* $265 Million - Other assistance

The Governor reminded Members that her Executive Budget, submitted at the start of the 2007 Regular Legislative Session includes historic funding for multiple areas critical to the state's long term recovery.

"Louisiana is fortunate to be faced with increased revenue due to a robust economy," Gov. Blanco said. "I propose that we target this new growth toward our recovery needs as well. The hurricanes exposed areas that demand our increased attention including investments in education and workforce training, critical solutions to poverty, as well as insurance and infrastructure. My Executive Budget invests in these state needs, and I ask the federal government to continue its serious investment in Louisiana as well. We need immediate assistance to meet multiple federal responsibilities such as housing and stronger, safer levees.

"It is important for Congress to understand that from the moment the hurricanes hit, Louisiana has prioritized investing in our own recovery. We need to be armed with this information to combat any suggestion that Louisiana is not first in line to help ourselves. We have been pulling ourselves up by our bootstraps, but we have to do so without losing sight of the fact that there is an entire state to run. The sheer extent of our devastation is without comparison. This is why we must have a continued and sustained partnership with the federal government to continue to support our efforts by investing in our recovery."

Click here to read the Governor's letter and documents sent to Louisiana's Congressional Delegation. <http://www.gov.state.la.us/index.cfm?md=newsroom&tmp=detail&articleID=2901>

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org