[StBernard] Louisiana Representative Recognized by Blue Dogs for Ongoing Commitment to Gulf Coast Recovery Efforts

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue May 22 21:25:55 EDT 2007

Washington, D.C. - Today, the fiscally conservative Democratic Blue
Dog Coalition honored Democratic Rep. Charlie Melancon by naming him "Blue
Dog of the Week." Melancon was recognized for his outstanding commitment to
the people of southern Louisiana and the ongoing efforts to rebuild the Gulf
Coast region in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

"Since Hurricane Katrina devastated the Gulf Coast nearly two years
ago, Rep. Charlie Melancon has worked tirelessly to locate and obtain the
federal resources necessary to rebuild the region," said Rep. Mike Ross
(D-AR), Blue Dog Co-Chair for Communications. "Rep. Melancon understands
the importance of prioritizing taxpayer dollars in a way that is fiscally
responsible for the American people, and as a member of the Blue Dog
Coalition, he will continue to be a leader in the fight on behalf of the
people of southern Louisiana."

"For too long, our government has been putting wants ahead of needs
when budgeting, and Hurricanes Katrina and Rita showed us the devastating
consequences of this fiscal irresponsibility," said Rep. Melancon. "For
decades, south Louisiana needed a strong levee system that would protect our
citizens and industries from deadly hurricanes and storm surges. We needed
coastal restoration projects to preserve what's left of our disappearing
wetlands, and provide a natural buffer from storms coming off the Gulf.
Instead, these needs were put on a back burner and ignored, even as the
national debt soared to historic levels. As a Blue Dog, I am committed to
balancing our na! tion's checkbook and paying down the debt, so we can take
care of needs like hurricane protection and coastal restoration."

Due to the efforts of Rep. Melancon and his Blue Dog colleagues, the
House rules package for the 110th Congress was passed in the first 24 hours
of the new session and includes key principles of the Coalition's 12-point
plan to end the nation's addiction to deficit spending. Specifically, the
package requires pay-as-you-go budget discipline, known as "PAYGO," with no
new deficit spending. This rule, which was in place when the nation had its
first balanced budget in nearly 30 years from 1998 to 2001, has been
extended to the Senate with the recent passage of the Fiscal Year 2008
Budget Resolution.

The fiscally conservative Democratic Blue Dog Coalition was formed
in 1995 with the goal of representing the center of the House of
Representatives and appealing to the mainstream values of the American
public. The Blue Dogs are dedicated to a core set of beliefs that transcend
partisan politics, including a deep commitment to the financial stability
and national security of the United States. Currently there are 43 members
of the Blue Dog Coalition.

Rep. Melancon is currently featured on the Blue Dog Coalition
website, located at http://www.house.gov/ross/BlueDogs/.

###