[StBernard] E-Update From Senator David Vitter

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu May 24 23:15:21 EDT 2007

IN THIS ISSUE

STOPPING ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION
PREPARING FOR HURRICANE SEASON
HONORING LOUISIANA WOMEN
HELPING LOUISIANA TURTLE FARMERS

Over the last few weeks the U.S. Senate has been debating a range of issues
including the Water Resources Development Act, which addresses critical
coastal and environmental concerns, and legislation regulating the Food and
Drug Administration and. During debate on the FDA bill, I fought to include
provisions that would allow safe prescription drugs from Canada.
Unfortunately, that measure failed due to pressure from the big drug
companies. I will continue fighting until citizens are allowed to buy
cheaper reimported safe drugs.

I serve on the U.S. Senate Environment and Public Works Committee, which has
jurisdiction over the WRDA bill. This bill was approved by the Senate with
a vote of 91-4 and has many important projects for Louisiana ranging from
the Morganza to the Gulf hurricane project in Terrebonne and Lafourche
parishes to a vital drinking water project in Union and Lincoln parishes. I
plan to fight to move this bill through legislative conference and quickly
to the president's desk.

Below you can read more about other issues I am working on like helping
Louisiana turtle farmers, stopping illegal immigration, preparing for
hurricane season, honoring Louisiana women and other key issues for
Louisiana families.

David Vitter

P.S. - Please feel free to forward the newsletter to your friends, neighbors
and business associates, and encourage them to sign up for their own copy by
visiting my Web site at http://vitter.senate.gov/.

Helping Louisiana Turtle Farmers

The U.S. Senate recently passed legislation to permit farmers to sell baby
turtles as pets. I am pleased my colleagues in the Senate understand how
important this legislation is.

I have been working with Louisiana pet turtle farmers for years trying to
get the bureaucrats at the Food and Drug Administration to change its flawed
policy. The FDA is holding pet turtles to a standard that is impossible to
reach - one that even food products are not expected to attain. But this
provision would allow Louisiana farmers to sell their pet turtles. Earlier
this year, I introduced a bill to help our turtle farmers, and I will keep
working to help them sell their pet turtles.

Stopping Illegal Immigration

We need to fix our badly broken immigration system. Like many in Louisiana,
I am deeply concerned
<http://vitter.senate.gov/?module=PressRoom/VittersView&ID=74879e38-d4cd-4b1
c-bc89-010e76825af1> about the influx of illegal immigrants coming into our
country and am firmly opposed to immigration policies that leave our
citizens at risk.

One of my priorities in the U.S. Senate is to oppose any form of amnesty
provision in federal immigration reform legislation. Amnesty sends the
wrong message - that of a reward - to those who have been evading our laws.
Rewarding illegal aliens by giving them amnesty will only compound the
problem of illegal immigration. Amnesty will encourage others to enter our
country illegally with the expectation that they will also be given amnesty
in the future. In addition, it sends an unfair message to all of those
legal immigrants who came to our country and followed all the rules to
achieve citizenship.

America is still the land of opportunity, and I embrace those who want to
come to this country to provide a better future for their families.
However, I strongly believe immigrants must arrive through the proper legal
channels, and as the Senate debates immigration reform this month I'll work
to advance these principles.

Preparing for Hurricane Season

June 1 marks the start of a brand new hurricane season. As we saw from
Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, hurricanes can have a wide-spread impact on the
entire state, and we must prepare ourselves for this new hurricane season.
By taking a few simple steps
<http://vitter.senate.gov/?module=PressRoom/VittersView&ID=07757b02-978f-499
9-b784-bebf5c591a51> , you can make sure that your family is ready to face
the challenges hurricane season brings.

Honoring Louisiana Women

Mother's Day and Women's Health Week <http://www.womenshealth.gov/whw/> are
both celebrated during May, so May is a good time to thank the women in your
life who are important to you. It could be your mother, sister, aunt or
friend. Growing up with two sisters, marrying my wife Wendy and now as the
father of three daughters, I am constantly reminded of the positive impact
women make in our families and communities.

One of my main efforts on behalf of Louisiana women and their families has
been advocating for breast cancer awareness. I have also supported a number
of bills that would provide more women with access to tools that can help
detect and fight cancer.

Wendy and I also host a Women's Forum every year. We meet as a group to
discuss issues important to women and families across Louisiana. These
forums produce a valuable dialogue about the initiatives you want me to
address in the Senate as well as specific work we can pursue together in the
community. We look forward to visiting with you when our forum meets in
your town.