[StBernard] Bill pleases Cain, Adley

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri May 25 22:58:15 EDT 2007

Bill pleases Cain, Adley

Special to the Daily News

After many years of filing legislation that would allow citizens of
Louisiana to deduct charitable donation, home mortgages and other itemized
deductions, Senators Robert Adley and James David Cain are pleased to
announce that Senate Bill 66 has been passed out of the Revenue and Fiscal
Affairs Committee.

Senate Bill 66 would allow citizens to once again claim itemized deductions
on their state income taxes. Charitable donations to churches could now be
claimed as would home mortgage deductions and expenses incurred while caring
for a sick child or family member.

Louisiana is currently one of only seven states in America and the only one
in the deep south, that impose income taxes on their citizens and do not
allow for any of these itemized deductions. Now citizens have the hope of
once again regaining their deductions on Louisiana State Income Tax forms.

"This will be a big tax cut for the middle class," Sen. Cain said. "I am
extremely happy to get this bill out of the committee. I've worked on this
type of legislation every year since the law was passed that took away our
deductions. Please help by contacting any legislators you know and urge them
to support this important tax legislation."