[StBernard] Congress keeps its promise to Louisiana; Governor Blanco asks President Bush to immediately sign Eme

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sat May 26 00:13:02 EDT 2007

Congress keeps its promise to Louisiana; Governor Blanco asks President Bush to immediately sign Emergency Supplemental Appropriations Bill

BATON ROUGE - One day after the United States Senate passed the Emergency Supplemental Appropriations bill by a vote of 80 to 14, Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco called on President George W. Bush to quickly sign the bill. The Governor praised House Speaker Nancy Pelosi of California, Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada, Senator Mary Landrieu, other Congressional leaders and members of the Louisiana Delegation for their support of her Federal Recovery Agenda for Louisiana.

Statement by Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco:

"Today, we are one signature away from providing the support Louisiana families, businesses and communities need as we continue our historic recovery from Hurricanes Katrina and Rita. I met with Speaker Pelosi and her leadership team shortly after the 110th Congress began and asked them to stand with Louisiana. I secured commitments from Congressional leaders to support my Federal Recovery Agenda that includes funding stronger levees, waiving the 10 percent local match for federal aid, allowing communities to seek disaster loan forgiveness and providing funds to address crime in New Orleans. This Democratic Congress understood our needs and is delivering on its promise.

"I thank the Congressional leadership, Louisiana's congressional delegation, for acting on my agenda and fighting to secure this critical funding our people so desperately deserve.

"Louisiana is especially grateful for Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi for her leadership and unwavering commitment to Louisiana. Taking our country in a new direction, this Democratic Congress with the leadership of Speaker Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid is keeping its promise to Americans battered by hurricanes and struggling to rebuild. Members stood firm in their commitment to Louisiana through their persistent efforts to pass this bill that is critical to our recovery, even after the President said, 'No.' This leadership made sure that billions of dollars for hurricane recovery were in every version of the emergency supplemental appropriations legislation. I urge the President to keep his promise to citizens along the Gulf Coast by immediately signing this bill into law. "

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org