[StBernard] Oil, gas industry objects to bill

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun May 27 00:40:22 EDT 2007

Walter needs to be careful of what he says, since he has three years of
previous votes for people to research.

Back in either the 2004 or 2005 session, a bill was introduced that would
drop the Louisiana provision of setting the price of gas to be a certain
percentage about the rack rate.

When this bill was being discusses, Walter was against it, saying gas
stations owned by big oil companies threatened to put small mom-and-pop out
of business since they could sell their gas below cost, which the Mom and
Pop's could never do.

I still remember being amazed that he was against this bill (I could have
swore that I blogged about it, but I can't find any entries).

I think Walter sided with the oil companies himself a couple of years ago.

And for the record, I don't think oil companies are making excessive
profits. They just make a lot of profits because they are so big.

Here's a look at the top 19 global companies, according to Forbes:
Bank of America 18%
Royal Bank of Scotland 16%
Citigroup 15%
JPMorgan Chase 15%