[StBernard] LRA aka Blanko wrong again

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue May 29 22:00:26 EDT 2007

Here is a link to the Mississippi equivalent to the Road Home program.
Notice it covers **flood** damage only. It appears Don Powell was right
and Blanko and Kopplin were smoking superb herbs or something before that
meeting.

http://www.mshomehelp.gov/guidelines.htm

Also, Ms Keller, one thing I discovered post-K was the availability of
supplemental flood insurance. Saw this discussed in several venues but of
course, who knew about it? Now, I wonder if the premiums for that would be
worth it.

Jim

I guess it would not have been passed the legislature if the Road
Home was
set up in such a way that the money went first to those who flooded
the
most. Imagine if the applications, processing, and closings had been
prioritized according to zip codes. All of us in St. Bernard and
Plaquemines, Lakeview, 9th Ward, Mid City, N.O. East, etc would have
come
first. Then those flooded due to stupidity of their parish
leadership, i.e.
Metairie, would come next, but only if funds were available, and
finally to
those under or not insured for wind.

The distinction with flood is that you can't buy more than $250,000
insurance on the house or $100,000 for contents and that amount was
the
ceiling set many years ago, so it has not kept pace with inflation.
Furthermore, the insurance companies and NFIP did a horrible job
explaining
and selling flood insurance so that many were not insured or were
underinsured not expecting to need it for a levee failure or breach.
However, everyone knows the risk of fire, wind, and hail and should
have the
maximum coverage they can afford.

Of course, the above wouldn't have brought home the bacon to
everyone who
had a tree damage their roof in the parishes affected the least and
therefore their state reps wouldn't have voted for it, would they?
So in the
land of equality, somehow the homeowners in St. Bernard with water
to the
roof sit and wait for a golden letter or closing 21 months after the
storm,
while others in the least affected areas have collected their
underinsurance
for wind damage.

Perhaps it was because we weren't supposed to come back. We in St.
Bernard,
Lakeview, NO East, 9th ward, Mid City and Plaquemines were supposed
to walk
away and wait for the big land buyouts, mitigation money, full
pre-Katrina
prices for our homes and businesses so our properties would revert
back into
swamps and pastures (greenspace). That didn't happen either, did it?
No
mitigation money available for that either.

One day the insiders will write a tell all book about the where all
the
money really went. The disaster within in the disaster. Who got
rich, who
got kickbacks, quid pro quo deals, businesses that gouged on their
prices,
citizens that defrauded the system, insurance companies and experts
who
violated their ethics to avoid fulfilling their policies,
contractors that
stole money, etc. will one day all be revealed.

You know the opening line from the classic TALE OF TWO CITIES-"It
was the
best of times, it was the worst of times." It was a story about the
French
Revolution. How appropriate that opening line would be for a
tell-all
expose. ddk