[StBernard] jobs

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue May 29 22:10:28 EDT 2007

Having read a lot about how many of us started out with nothing, from modest
families, but families where education and hard work were valued and
instilled in us, I'd like to share a thought for all
to remember every time you go to a fast food restaurant, a convenience
store, a gas station,etc. Every one deserves respect.

While for some segments of people these entry levels jobs are their careers
to management or for many more these jobs are just a paycheck with no
further aspirations, behind those counters are many of tomorrow's community
leaders, lawyers, doctors, engineers, accountants, teachers, etc.
Regardless, treat them all with respect as a person and not consider them
lesser than yourself because they don't status, influence, material goods,
etc. at this time of their lives.

The young girl at Time Saver on Judge Perez at Campagna Dr. working the 3 to
11pm shift the summer of 1976 was me, a college student at Tulane earning
money for things a scholarship doesn't pay for. And the guy pumping your
gas, putting air in your tires, and checking your oil at Pakenham 66 on St.
Bernard Hwy in the sweltering heat and freezing cold was my husband, working
30 hours a week and carrying 18 hours of courses at UNO for years. (By the
way, he said Joe Meraux was a grumpy, stingy, man who never gave even a 25
cent tip for all the service, while Sidney Torres would buy him a cold Coke
or give a tip and that's something he'll never forget, no matter what people
say about Torres.) And in Dec 1976 that was both of us working a fireworks
stand every night during the coldest winter I remember, for weeks leading up
to and including New Year's Eve to earn money for car insurance and school
books.

Today, we have the good life. In fact the good life came quickly after
getting those college degrees and jobs that showed our talents, but we vowed
to instill the principles by which our parents raised us into our daughter.
When her grandmother saw her mopping the kitchen after midnight last week,
my daughter replied that "I have to earn my keep. Mom and Dad let me buy
some new summer clothes and my summer job hasn't started yet, so I wanted to
pay them back by working around the house whenever I can." That's from a 21
year old college student. That's when a parent feels successful.
ddk