[StBernard] Landrieu and Melancon Introduce Bill to Replace Aging Hurricane-Tracking Satellite

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue May 29 22:32:59 EDT 2007

WASHINGTON - U.S. Senator Mary L. Landrieu, D-La., and U.S. Rep.
Charlie Melancon, D-La., yesterday introduced companion legislation in the
Senate and House to replace an aging satellite key to tracking hurricanes
and tropical storms.
The Improved Hurricane Tracking and Forecasting Act of 2007
authorizes $375 million to the National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration
for the design and launch of an improved QuikSCAT satellite, which forecasts
hurricanes, coastal winds, storm surges, and other weather-related
disasters, such as "El Niño." Sens. Mel Martinez, R-Fla., Bill Nelson,
D-Fla., John Kerry, D-Mass., and Rep. Ron Klein, D-Fla., co-sponsored the
legislation.
"As the 2007 Atlantic Hurricane season approaches, it is crucial
that our nation's hurricane-tracking system be first class," Sen. Landrieu
said. "With more than 50 percent of our population living within 50 miles of
the coast, residents of these communities -- in Louisiana, Florida and
across the nation - deserve the best technology available to track impending
hurricanes.
"The current satellite is five years past its projected lifespan,
making it vulnerable to failure. We need more advanced warning of storms,
and can't afford to slide backwards. This requires a long-term solution
rather than a short-term band aid is essential."
"On the eve of another hurricane season, people all along the Gulf
Coast are preparing once again to face any number of severe storms," Rep.
Melancon said. "To help them better plan when to evacuate, we need to apply
the latest advances in technology to provide our coastal communities with
the most advanced hurricane forecasting and tracking systems available.
Better hurricane forecasting will no doubt save lives, and I am pleased to
join Senator Landrieu, Rep. Klein, and other coastal members of Congress in
introducing this bipartisan legislation."
"Accurately forecasting hurricanes is essential to saving lives and
securing property," said Sen. Nelson. "There is no one thing that can help
more than early warning; and these funds will help ensure we have time to
take the proper precautions."
"After the devastation Hurricane Katrina, we said as a nation 'Never
Again,'" Sen. Kerry said. "In order to keep that promise to the survivors
and to ourselves, we must ensure access to the best technology, to help us
predict dangerous hurricanes before they hit. There is no better way to
learn from this tragedy than creating real security from future threats."
"We cannot afford to be taking steps backwards when it comes to
tracking and forecasting hurricanes," Rep. Klein said. "Congress must do
whatever it can to help get replacement technology in place. Given that
over half of all Americans live within 50 miles of the coast line this is an
issue that is important to a majority of the American people."
The new, next-generation satellite would maintain weather
forecasting and warning capabilities and improve data capabilities for
future weather-related disasters. The bill also requires that the NOAA
provide annual reports on the status of the satellite.
NASA launched the current QuikSCAT satellite in 1999, and it was
expected to remain in service until 2002. It was built in just 12 months
because a previous satellite was lost in 1997. An instrument on the
satellite sends pulses of microwave energy through the atmosphere to the
ocean surface, and measures the energy that bounces back from the
wind-roughened surface. The energy of the microwave pulses changes
depending on wind speed and direction, allowing scientists to monitor wind
around the world.

Bill Proenza, Director of the National Hurricane Center, has said
that without QuikSCAT, hurricane forecasting would be 16 percent less
accurate 72 hours before hurricane's landfall and 10 percent less accurate
48 hours before hurricane's landfall.
The Senate bill, S.1509, was referred to the Commerce, Science and
Transportation Committee, on which both Sen. Nelson and Sen. Kerry sit. Sen.
Nelson is Chairman of the Subcommittee on Space, Aeronautics, and Related
Agencies. The House bill, H.R 2531, was referred to the Science and
Technology Committee, on which Rep. Melancon sits.
- # # # -