[StBernard] Expanding higher ed access for low income students

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue May 29 22:48:27 EDT 2007

Wes,

You are right in how it was....20 years ago. I have had the wonderful
privilege of working for corporate stores and franchises, and let me tell
you, times have soooooooooo changed. You see, management's bonuses are now
directly linked to profit, not sales in general. What does that mean? That
means if salaries are up, profit is lower and so are bonuses.You are right
in that there are people who do not strive to go further ahead, but that was
my point. What if they were never taught by their adult influences. You are
right further in that they could move to the next job, but if you move too
much, managers talk and they know when someone is playing them. We talked
often with people from popeyes, mcdonald's etc. And while some positions are
extremely mind numbing at best, nothing you did at popeyes compares to a
drive thru today at any burger place. Each car is on a timer, each person is
to be in line less than 3 minutes, etc. Yes there are times there are longer
waits, but the day's overall average. Guess what's linked to that- you got
it bonuses. I'm telling you, if you're ever dining in, just watch where 2
out of every three orders go- drive thru. The reasoning is because 60% of
sales go through drive through. People will get stuck waiting inside longer
than drive thru. Like I said, go see Tammie on Gauze, as the store manager
she runs the DT from 6am to 3pm when she leaves. Her average 1 minute 30
sec, usually.SHe gets it that low because at night she can't find anyone to
work it as hard. There's no way that job is mind numbing and you can't go in
a zone....you have cash handling, you have to take orders, you have changes
and adds at the window, you have credit cards/cash, plus checking your
orders, doing drinks, etc. 20 years ago, corporate gave stores ore "labor
hours", today we get 40% less than we did 18 years ago when I started....

Wendy