[StBernard] Expanding higher ed access for low income students

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu May 31 21:59:00 EDT 2007

Laurie, thanks for kind words. But, I want Wendy to know I wasn't trying to
pick on her. I admire what she has had to contend with and still finds a
way to make it.....Wendy, I just hope you realize it's "you" who gets the
credit for your survival - don't share it with the government.

However, in what I have said does not mean that we, as individuals, can't
help one another. I find no shame in asking a friend, neighbor or any
fellow human being for help. I also believe we should all try to help our
neighbors even before they ask for it - since some people have a lot of
pride and won't ask.

If you look around you'll notice charitable and non-profit organizations
usually do a better job at helping others in need compared to government
agencies. Anyone ever recall hearing somebody say "gee, Fema (etc.) did a
better job with that than the United Way" - yeah, right! I'll bet Habitat
for Humanity has built more houses than the federal government has since
Katrina - and built 'em better for less per square foot.

Why is this? Because it's "people" behind these activities - not
government.....people who are comitted and passionate about what they do to
help their neighbors - whether they know them or if they're total strangers.

People working together will always be more productive than any state or
federal agency.

John Scurich