[StBernard] Why I Voted Against a $29.6 Billion Dollar State Budget

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Jun 1 18:17:57 EDT 2007

Why I Voted Against a $29.6 Billion Dollar State Budget

Yesterday, the Louisiana House of Representatives passed a record $29.6
billion budget, which I have mentioned puts us 4th in the nation in terms of
per capita spending. I voted against it, not necessarily because it was all
bad, but that it was bad enough.

Here are our underlying problems of state government and spending in general

ENTITLEMENT MENTALITY/ SPENDING BASED ON POLITICS OVER POLICY

If you have ever been to the State Capitol, there is a statue of Huey Long
facing the mammoth structure he constructed. Unfortunately, his policy of
populism is alive and well today over 70 years after his death with an
entitlement mentality that permeates the state, particularly when the
coffers are full as they are now because of high oil prices and hurricane
rebuilding related sales taxes. Everyday is palm Sunday at the Capitol with
just about everyone with their hand out requ esting their piece of the pie.
And of course, spending is not guided by a comprehensive strategic plan or
policy to maximize the benefits of public spending, but rather by politics,
who has the most political muscle at that particular time.

This year is an election year and it is much easier to make a case of your
effectiveness to your constituents by pointing at a project you brought home
than to claim you spent state dollars in a prudent fiscal manner. For
example, millions are spent on local projects for political benefit and for
which there is no accountability, a partial list which includes Rho Omega
and Friends ($50,000), the Purple Circle Social Club ($50,000), the Men of
Vision and Enlightenment ($50,000). My favorite is the $300,000 for the
town of Waterproof, LA ($400 a person for the approximately 800 who live
there). I never knew there was a town of Waterproof in the state, and if
you're interested here is some more information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterproof,_Louisiana. It's claim to fame is
that General Claire Chennault of the Flying Tigers was raised there.

Questions were raised about such spending but easily deflected because there
were the votes to pass it.

Have to vote for those taxes and against the tax breaks!

YOU HAVE TO DRINK THE KOOL-AID!

Just as James Jones led his followers to death in the Jonestown massacre
with spiked kool aid, the system that leads to state government's fiscal
demise is the requirement to drink the Kool-Aid (ie vote for taxes) to
obtain projects. This creates the classic tax and spend cycle that has
ballooned our spending and our taxes such as the infamous Stelly plan.
Although no new taxes are on the horizon, there is only limited tax relief
expected given the size of our surplus with some changes to Stelly expected.

HOPE FOR THE FUTURE?
Just like Saint's fans perpetually wait until next year, hopefully Louisiana
voters will have some relief in this fall's election cycle when there will
be wide turnover. This is probably the best chance in a generation to
change our Drink the Kool Aid entitlement mentality, so cast your vote very
ca refully.

Tim

Related:

LA News Link <http://www.lanewslink.com/>

House approves $29.6 billion budget bill for next year
<http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/L/LA_XGR_THE_BUDGET_LAOL-?SITE=LAMON&S
ECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT>

Reckless spending is bad habit
<http://epaper.americanpress.com/Repository/ml.asp?Ref=QW1QLzIwMDcvMDUvMzEjQ
XIwMDMwMA==&Mode=HTML&Locale=english-skin-custom>

I periodically send out newsletters on items of interest to the public. If
you would like to be added to my newsletter list, please click here
<http://timburns.us/newsletter/join.html> .