[StBernard] New Credit Card Scam

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Jun 3 21:10:26 EDT 2007

I want to say I have commented on this before, but everyone should have
heard it preached by credit card companies that they will NEVER ask you for
your account information.

A long time ago I was contacted with the same scam. When the supposed rep
with my VISA card asked me for the security numbers I asked him "well, don't
you have that info, why do you need to hear it from me." He handed me the
same crap about confirming I was in possession of the card.

I then asked him "what about VISA's policy that no rep with their company
will ever contact me and ask me information regarding my account and
security numbers?" And before I allowed him to answer, I reminded him that
the security code is ONLY for the purpose charging a sale - it has abolutely
nothing to do with a credit anyway. The guy immediately hung up on me.

Just remember....no credit card company will ever call you to ask you about
your account numbers or security numbers.

John Scurich

> New Credit Card Scam Snopes.com <http://snopes.com/> says this is true.

> See this site - http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/creditcard.asp

> <http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/creditcard.asp> .

> This one is pretty slick since they provide YOU with all the information,

> except the one piece they want.

> Note, the callers do not ask for your card number; they already have it.

> This information is worth reading. By understanding how the VISA &

> MasterCard Telephone Credit Card Scam works, you'll be better prepared to

> protect yourself.

> One of our employees was called on Wednesday from "VISA", and I was called

> on Thursday from "Master Card".

> The scam works like this: Person calling says, "This is (name), and I'm

> calling from the Security and Fraud Department at VISA. My Badge number is

> 12460. Your card has been flagged for an un usual purchase pattern, and

I'm

> calling to verify. This would be on your VISA card which was issued by

(name

> of bank). Did you purchase an Anti-Telemarketing Device for $497.99 from

> Marketing company based in Arizona ?" When you say "No", the caller

> continues with, "Then we will be issuing a credit to your account. This

is

> a company we have been watching and the charges range from $297 to $497,

> just under the $500 purchase pattern that flags most cards. Before your

> next statement, the credit will be sent to (gives you your address), is

that

> correct?"

> You say "yes". The caller continues - "I will be starting a Fraud

> investigation. If you have any questions, you should call the 1- 800

number

> listed on the back of your card (1-800-VISA) and ask for Security.

> You will need to refer to this Control Number. The caller then gives you

> 6 digit number. "Do you need me to read it again?"

> Here's the IMPORTANT part on ho w the scam works.

> The caller then says, "I need to verify you are in possession of your

card".

> He'll ask you to "turn your card over and look for some numbers". ; There

> are 7 numbers; the first 4 are part of your card number, the next 3 are

the

> security Numbers' that verify you are the possessor of the card. These

are

> the numbers you sometimes use to make Internet purchases to prove you have

> the card. The caller will ask you to read the 3 numbers to him. After

you

> tell the caller the 3 numbers, he'll say, "That is correct, I just needed

> verify that the card has not been lost or stolen, and that you still have

> your card. Do you have any other questions?" After you say No, the

caller

> then thanks you and states, "Don't hesitate to call back if you do", and

> hangs up.

> You actually say very little, and they never ask for or tell you the Card

> number. But after we were called on Wednesday, we called back within 20

> minutes to ask a question. Are we glad we did! The REAL VISA Security

> Department told us it was a scam and in the last 15 minutes a new purchase

> of $497.99 was charged to our card.

> Long story - short - we made a real fraud report and closed the VISA

> account. VISA is reissuing us a new number. What the scammers want is

the

> 3-digit PIN number on the back of the card. Don't give it to them.

Instead,

> tell them you'll call VISA or Master card directly for verification of

their

> conversation. The real VISA told us that they w ill never ask for

anything

> on the card as they already know the information since they issued the

card!

> If you give the scammers your 3 Digit PIN Number, you think you're

receiving

> a credit. However, by the time you get your statement you'll see charges

> for purchases you didn't make, and by then it's almost too late and/or

more

> difficult to actually file a fraud report.

> What makes this more remarkable is that on Thursday, I got a call from a

> "Jason Richardson of Master Card" with a word-for-word repeat of the VISA

> scam. This time I didn't let him finish. I hung up! We filed a police

> report, as instructed by VISA. The police said they are taking several of

> these reports daily! They also urged us to tell everybody we know that

this