[StBernard] Louisiana's plan to save the coast

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Jun 5 18:09:38 EDT 2007

Louisiana's plan to save the coast
A column by Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco

Have you looked at aerial photographs of our coastal parishes lately? It looks like someone took an eraser to Louisiana's coastline. For generations, Louisiana's coast and its habitats have endured a consistent vanishing act. The estimated 200 square miles of coastal area washed away during Hurricanes Katrina and Rita intensified a critical situation. Today, we take another step forward in our efforts to reverse the trend.

Following the devastating storms of 2005, Louisiana chose a new approach to coastal restoration. Hurricane protection and coastal restoration were no longer viewed as two completely separate missions. Instead, science and technology were channeled to develop a comprehensive strategy.

We restructured Louisiana's Wetland Conservation and Restoration Authority to form the Coastal Protection and Restoration Authority (CPRA). This new organization was charged with the monumental task of developing a new, comprehensive coastal protection plan. Through the CPRA, the Department of Natural Resources, the Department of Transportation and Development and other state agencies combined their expertise to speak with one clear voice for the future of Louisiana's most precious natural resource. CPRA works with local, state and federal government agencies to fight for the preservation of our coast.

With a collaborative focus, CPRA began 18 months of public forums, research and planning to prepare "Integrated Ecosystem Restoration and Hurricane Protection: Louisiana's Comprehensive Master Plan for a Sustainable Coast." This proposal is Louisiana's first comprehensive master plan for coastal restoration and hurricane protection. This plan addresses multiple projects needed to protect and rebuild our coastal economies and ecosystems.

We will build up our coastline by restoring natural fresh water flows and sediment deposits that originally protected Louisiana's wetlands. Our comprehensive master plan also stabilizes lakes and bays along the coast, restores barrier islands and includes multiple projects for restoring our marsh and forest habitats.

The plan also includes safety measures proven to reduce the impact of hurricanes. We know the importance of elevating structures, enforcing stronger building codes, developing wise land use plans and improved evacuation routes. These steps, combined with new and stronger levees will help save lives and protect property.

The Louisiana Legislature recently gave its final approval to the CPRA plan, laying the groundwork to immediately make use of state dollars and the federal revenue stream to follow. In the race against time, every second counts and we will move quickly to begin work on items approved by legislators for planning or construction during the next three years.

Louisiana can win the fight to save our coast. Adoption of the CPRA plan ensures that we move forward with a long-term, well-planned solution.

Louisiana's future will be determined by the decisions we make today. The responsible approach is to ease the tax burden on our families and businesses while also encouraging long term economic growth. I urge our lawmakers to join me in strengthening our future.

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org