[StBernard] Letter of support from Governor and Treasurer of Oregon

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Jun 18 09:18:40 EDT 2007

Letter of support from Governor and Treasurer of Oregon

BATON ROUGE - The following is a letter of support for Louisiana's recovery efforts, especially full funding for the Road Home shortfall, from the Oregon Governor Theodore Kulongoski and Oregon State Treasurer Randall Edwards to Oregon Congressional Members.

Dear Congressman Blumenauer:

As Oregon State Treasurer and Governor, we were participants in the Oregon Flight of Friendship to New Orleans in April. This Flight of Friendship that Mercy Corps and so many others organized was in the best tradition of Oregonians offering a helping hand to others in need.

Oregonians mobilized immediately after the 2005 hurricanes hit the Gulf Coast region and they continue to provide support and resources to the area. After Hurricane Katrina hit, we sent one of the best National Guard units in the country, Oregon's 41st Brigade, to assist with humanitarian missions. The City of Portland, the Red Cross and Portlanders quickly volunteered to receive displaced residents from the Gulf Coast, and while our shelter in Portland never became operational, over 1,200 Gulf Coast residents came to Oregon. In addition, there were countless cash and resources donations by individual Oregonians and organizations from across the state.

We were honored to be a part of the Flight of Friendship, and it is with these latest lessons and experiences in mind that we wish to impress upon Congress the importance of not forgetting about New Orleans and the Gulf Coast region. We ask that you continue to support the recovery effort in three specific ways:

1. Support funding for the estimated $3-4 billion shortfall in the Road Home Program to help those who have lost their homes to rebuild;

2. Secure fortification for all levies in the area (levies that were breached or otherwise damaged in the 2005 hurricanes have been repaired to withstand category 3 hurricanes, but areas that were not damaged have not been fortified and are still susceptible to a breach should another strong storm hit); and

3. We extend to you an open invitation to go to New Orleans and see firsthand the recovery efforts that are and are not taking place. We would be happy to help facilitate such a visit.

The Flight of Friendship continues to remind us, in Oregon, that we all have a stake in the recovery and restoration of Gulf Coast region and New Orleans as one of our nation's great cities.

Thank you for your consideration of our requests.

Sincerely,

RANDALL EDWARDS THEODORE R. KULONGOSKI
State Treasurer Governor

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org