[StBernard] Current State Budget: Already a Train Wreck in Disguise

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Mon Jun 18 13:58:58 EDT 2007

"Yes, I have tricks in my pocket, I have things up my sleeve. But I
am the opposite of a stage magician. He gives you illusion that has the
appearance of truth. I give you truth in the pleasant disguise of illusion."

Tennessee Williams
The Glass Menagerie

CURRENT STATE BUDGET: ALREADY A TRAIN WRECK IN DISGUISE

As the House of Representatives adjourned last week, some were warned that a
train wreck might occur if the Republicans refused to break the spending
cap. The truth is that the budget is already a train wreck disguised as a
massive spending program.

Deciphering state spending often involves figuring out the truth in the
pleasant disguise of illusion. The state budget process involves a series
of bills including the state appropriations or spending bill (HB1), the
capital outlay bill (HB2), the bond authorization bill (HB3), the
supplemental appropriations bill (HB 765) and expenditure limit bill (HCR
10), which provides for an increase in the constitutionally mandated
expenditure limit. The expenditure limit (the "Cap") is a constitutionally
mandated limit on the growth of government to avoid excess spending. HCR 10
seeks to increase the spending cap by $2 Billion and requires a 2/3's vote.

If you find the system confusing, you are not alone. The system was
designed to be confusing to provide for maximum expenditures and minimum
accountability and to alleviate the need to be fiscally responsible. After
the hurricanes, the administration and the legislature cut nearly $1 billion
from the budget in anticipation of a budget shortfall. Yet, I didn't see
any blood on the floor or massive public outcry over the decrease in state
spending. Now that the state is awash in cash, the cuts have been quickly
restored and new spending aggressively initiated. Many of the recurring
expenditures have been placed in HB 1, and the nonrecurring programs placed
in the supplemental appropriations bill which is contingent upon breaking
the spending cap.

Below are a series of truths and illusions on state spending:

THE ILLUSION: We are in a period of economic prosperity, and we need new
programs for our citizens.

THE TRUTH: Nearly $1 billion of the increase is directed towards recurring
expenditures.

It is based on the illusion that the economic bubble that we are in will
last forever, that we will not have to pay the piper, and that any problems
that are created by the excess spending will be the born by the next
administration and legislature. The natural political instinct among many is
to spend ALL of the budget because it is THERE and they CAN.

THE ILLUSION: Those who seek to block the excess spending are
obstructionists who are blocking Louisiana's progress.

THE TRUTH: The overwhelming majority of Louisiana citizens do not support
spending all of the budget and would prefer greater tax cuts and less
recurring expenditu re. With Louisiana's government the 4th largest in
spending per capita, we simply don't need to bust the budget cap.

Those seeking to enforce spending restraint are following the will of the
majority of Louisiana citizens.

THE ILLUSION: If the legislature refuses to break the budget cap, all of the
meaningful appropriations in the supplemental budget, such as Road Home,
highways and other capital expenditures will be lost.

THE TRUTH: There is adequate funds for the state to responsibly handle all
of its pressing needs.

If you want to contact your legislator and tell them to spend responsibly
then follow the steps below.

To determine who your legislator is, click here
<http://www.legis.state.la.us/> . Then, click on "How do I...?" in the left
column. Under "Legislator Questions"click on "How do I determine who is my
legislator?"

For a list of legislators, Click Here
<http://www.legis.state.la.us/bios.htm> .
&nb
sp; Tim

Related:
LA News Link <http://www.lanewslink.com/>

I periodically send out newsletters on items of interest to the public. If
you would like to be added to my newsletter list, please click here
<http://timburns.us/newsletter/join.html> .