[StBernard] Message From Senator Vitter About Amnesty for Illegal Immigrants

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Tue Jun 26 22:23:21 EDT 2007

Dear Fellow Louisianan:

As you know, I have grave concerns about the direction some in Washington
have taken the immigration debate. Our current immigration debate should
really be about securing our border and enforcing current law. Illegal
immigrants have compromised the security of our nation and Congress should
deal with stopping the flow of these criminals before doing anything else.

Second, I am STRONGLY OPPOSED to any form of amnesty for illegal immigrants.
Congress must respect the rule of law when we consider a solution to the
problem of illegal immigration. Therefore, border security and enforcement
must come first in order to protect the citizens of Louisiana, and to
preserve our nation's sovereignty.

I will continue to fight for an immigration policy that has no provisions
for amnesty of any kind. The Kennedy Amnesty bill if it passes would allow
illegal aliens to get a free pass and get amnesty. This is outrageous!

As you may recall, during debate on the Senate Immigration bill, I authored
an amendment to strip the amnesty provision out of the bill. Unfortunately,
my amendment failed 29-66. Although I thought amnesty for 12 million illegal
immigrants - including more than 635,000 gang members, terrorists, and
felons was a wrongheaded policy, I was not able to gain enough of my
colleagues' votes to vote with me to say NO AMNESTY PERIOD.

However, I want you to know that I am continuing to fight the battle against
Amnesty. I am working around the clock trying to convince other Senators
that this bill is Amnesty "pure and simple". I urge you to join me in the
fight against amnesty and assist me in the battle against the Kennedy
Amnesty immigration bill.

Sincerely,

David Vitter, U.S Senator