[StBernard] EDITORIAL: News Star praises Governor for raising teacher pay

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Jun 29 19:22:36 EDT 2007

EDITORIAL: News Star praises Governor for raising teacher pay

Periodically, the press office will publish editorials and columns that feature Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco's work in various areas.

News Star: Teacher raises to benefit us all
Published: June 29, 2007

Suddenly, it's raining raises on some of the nation's worst-paid teachers.

First came dedicated raises to Louisiana public school teachers. Then came raises based on increased Minimum Foundation funding. Now, thanks to a legislative session blessed with a rare bounty of cash, average teacher salaries in our educationally disregarded state will be right up with the most average of Southern states.

With all the challenges we face in Louisiana in the 21st century, we've known for a while that we have to pick our battles. This one, beyond a doubt, is a worthy one.

In most recent surveys, Louisiana ranked 42nd in teacher pay - more than $8,000 per year below national averages. It was basically on par with West Virginia, Mississippi and Alabama among Southeastern states.

Consider that, then understand that the American Federation of Teachers union issued a statement in March saying that teachers nationwide need a 30 percent pay increase to make their jobs competitive with other professions.

Those facts show how severely teacher salaries have been overlooked in Louisiana.

With these raises, the amount of each teacher's pay increase will vary by school district. Many will see raises of more than $6,000 per year.

This commitment from our government shows respect to Louisiana's many great teachers - some of whom honestly deserve more than our state could ever afford.

But just as important, it will attract more qualified candidates to an increasingly unattractive profession.

As citizens, we have too often overlooked a simple equation during school tax elections: Better-paid teachers equals better teachers, and better teachers equals better education.

And better education equals a better Louisiana.

It's a hammered-home fact that education can be one's only key to the American dream. It's just as well known in northeastern Louisiana that classrooms too often are run by underqualified teachers with inadequate resources.

Governor Blanco will leave office at year's end with a legacy - deserved or not - of presiding over the disastrous response to Hurricane Katrina.

Her shining hour, though, likely will be remembered as her efforts on behalf of teachers and public education.

Credit our legislators, as well. A group that fought hard and sometimes pointlessly over lesser bills was ready to stand up this year for education. Last week, they dedicated almost 10 percent of a $30 billion budget to improving education.

We applaud that effort and believe firmly that it will pay dividends for years to come - in more ways than we can accurately quantify.

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People